Saturday, December 24, 2005

...Twas the night before Christmas...

It's finally here, the day we've been waiting for ...the day we've been saving for, and rushing around for, and sneaking around for, and sitting in traffic for, and lying....and…wait a minute...what happened to Christmas? When did the day of our Savior’s birth turn into this? It took 2000 years, but it happened. And to top it off, most of the time Jesus isn’t even invited to his own birthday party!

A few weeks ago I asked Amelle what the best Christmas gift of all was. I was expecting her to explain God’s love for us, the amazing gift of Jesus’ birth and atoning sacrifice with the articulation of a world class theologian, or at least a third year seminary student. Instead, she pondered for a moment, let out a “hmmm” and rolled her eyes back to survey her brain for the correct answer, and then she innocently answered me “a baby doll”. My heart sank. Was that baby doll’s name “Jesus” by any chance?

Avery confessed earlier this week that he thought his name might appear on the “naughty list”. When I asked him what he was going to do about that, I anticipated him telling me that he was going to get down on his knees, repent, and ask God’s forgiveness. Instead, he said that he’d just play with last year’s toys.

Nancy has a great blog post about Santa Claus (Saint Nicholas) slapping someone who taught that Jesus was “just a man”. I couldn’t help but wonder what he would do to me: my four year old didn’t understand God’s love and my six year old was more frightened of Santa’s wrath, than God’s! Thankfully we serve an understanding Heavenly Father and not the jolly old fellow in a furry red suit.

Hope you have a wonderful, Spirit-filled Christmas!

Love,
The 5 Moores

2 comments:

FloridaMom said...

On this Christmas Eve, my thoughts wander back to last year. On December 24th we were busy preparing for our trip to Philidelphia. On December 25th we enjoyed a wonderful day with children, grandchildren and Sylvia. On December 26th, with USAir on strick, we didn't enjoy the bus trip from hell from Philadelphia to Florida.

After asking Jermaine how taking a bus back to Florida would be, he answered, "It isn't that bad." Well, he neglected to tell me, it isn't that good.

Althought I miss my entire family on this holiday, I know that on December 26th, when I'm ready to retire for the evening, I will not be in a bus!

As for Avery, Amelle and Amaya, my guess would be the following:

Avery will not be playing with last years toys.

Amelle will get her baby doll.

And Amaya has Christmas everyday when she is being held in her mother's arms.

Kristy & John said...

Merry Christmas Erin, Jermaine, Avery, Amelle and Amaya. That picture of the three of them is just too cute! I hope you guys have a wonderful and safe holiday! See you soon!