Friday, January 06, 2006

...want you to want me baby...

While I was pregnant Jermaine would reach his hand around my big watermelon belly and proclaim "I can't wait to get my hands on this baby!" After Amaya was born, he spent hours by her side in the intensive care unit holding her and talking to her with tears in his eyes as she was hooked up to all kinds of tubes and IVs. When I call her a fussy baby, Jermaine sticks up for her and says "she's a good girl".

Last night, when I handed our 11 1/2 lb bundle to her dad, I watched her transform from a smiling, cooing baby girl to a screaming ball of rage. ..no different from most nights. As a headed off to sleep I heard Jermaine whisper a plea to her for just "one night that he could hold her without her crying", and the words from Marvin Gaye's classic "I Want You" ran through my mind.

I want you, but I want you to want me too
Want you to want me baby
Just like I want you
I'll give you all the love
I want in return
But half the love is all I feel
Sweet darling
It's too bad it's too sad
You don't want me no more
But I'm gonna change your mind
Someway, somehow

No comments: