Sunday, January 08, 2006

You don’t know anything about college!

This morning I was trying to get some “quiet time” to do an assignment that was a bit of a challenge for me. Jermaine had the baby and I felt confident that I could knock out the assignment in an hour or two, if uninterrupted. The kids were settled at the breakfast table and I began to read my textbook at the computer while typing in notes.

Approximately 7 minutes into this endeavor Avery approached me, “What are you doing?”.
“My schoolwork”, I replied without looking up from my book.
“What school do you go to?”
“College” I muttered, trying to pretend he wasn’t bothering me.
“When do you go?”
“I’m going right now” I said pointing to the computer screen in front of me. “My classes are online”.
“Well how do you learn?” He asked.
“I read the book..” I responded, resigned to the fact that I had officially been interrupted.
“..and then you have to draw pictures about it?” he asked.
I smiled thinking about his weekly book report that consisted of reading a book with four word sentences and then drawing a picture about what he had read. “No, I have to write papers about what I read”.
“Oh yeah..” he said with an embarrassed grin. “What grade are you in?”
This question stumped me, I used my fingers to come up with the answer, “18th”
“Eighteenth! I never heard of that grade!” he exclaimed.
I put my book down and explained how I derived at that figure. “9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th are high school. 13th, 14th, 15th, & 16th are college, that’s where I got that certificate”, I said, pointing to my diploma on the wall. “17th I just finished and 18th is what I’m working on now, In July I’ll get another certificate for the wall. You can go to college as long as you want”.
“Even old men can go?” He asked.
“Yes” I said, turning back to the computer.
There was a moment of silence. “What does a crocodile eat?” He asked.
“I don’t know” I said, trying to brush him off.
“Fish!” He exclaimed. “You don’t know anything about college!”
“Yup, you’re right, I don’t know very much, that’s why I have to keep going to school” I said, thoroughly amused by his wisdom. He wasn’t impressed by my academic credentials, the truth was evident, I don’t know much of anything.

2 comments:

FloridaMom said...

If you don't know anything, just imagine how little the rest of us know!

T5M said...

:-) ...spoken like a mother...

I love you too!! :-)