Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Fast Times at Big Hair High

My best friend & sister-in-law,Wendy, is my blogger guest today (I editorialized with a picture of me during my big hair days & a picture of Wendy & I post Aqua-net):

For reasons I cannot remember (insert the old age jokes here), I pulled out my high school yearbook the other day. I know it had something to do with showing my neighbor, Deb, my “big hair.” After blowing the dust off the cover, I quickly found what I was looking for – me and my large mane. There I am, immortalized forever with what appears to be an atomic bomb of hair on top of my head, the sides blown out like wings and the rest permed. Ugh.

However, my embarrassment quickly faded as we perused the endless pages of large hair and ….. mullets?! I couldn’t believe how many mullets were in my class! And why do I not remember them?? Even some of the “cooler” guys had them (although the “party in the back” was more like a “get together”). We even picked out a few girls sporting them (I believe they are called “fem-mullets”). I came to realize that my class could be titled, “The Year of Big Hair.”

Later in the day I found myself thinking about high school. Like the first line of A Tale of Two Cities, it was the best of times, it was the worst of times. I have to think I’m not alone by saying that. In those days, I defined myself through my hair, my clothes, my friends and who I was dating. I wish I could go back with the knowledge I have now. The knowledge that friends and boyfriends come and go (and you will live after they go), but education and self-esteem are paramount.

I think this is a lesson we all learn in life – after the big hair is long gone.

8 comments:

Kristy & John said...

I think I've seen that pic of you and Wendy before, hmmm where was it? - on the wall at Captain Tony's in Key West?!?! That is actually one of the pictures that I took a picture of when John and I were down there! How ironic!

T5M said...

..not a chance..this was the duplicate! It's one of my favorite pictures of us because I remember that day so vividly - we put fake tatoos all over our bodies and went from bar to bar with our squirt guns, & squirted unsuspecting tourists walking by...
...good times!

T5M said...

Wendy,
To your point, I wish I had paid more attention to academics when I was in High School. Today my co-workers engaged in a discussion about the ethnicity of Christopher Columbus - I thought he was from Spain...Apparently (according to Mel, who says he DID pay attention in HS), Columbus was Italian, but sailed under the Spainish flag?! I feel like I would've known that if I had paid more attention in my US History class!

T5M said...

I just noticed that I spelled Spanish incorrectly...
...apparently I didn't pay attention in English class either.

MaineMomKC5 said...

You just dumb, plane and sympull.

T5M said...

Yez, I am stupit.

MaineMomKC5 said...

Stupit is as stupit does..

FloridaMom said...

I remember your high school days as, Erin being Erin. I remember the big hair being short-lived. I remember the clothes worn inside out for the good part of 2 years more vividly. Seeing you walk out the door in the morning would make me cringe! I don't think the "big hair" started until you decided to wear your clothes in the more traditional fashion.

I'm so happy you came to your senses before you have children. I can just picture the Moore children going to school with clothes inside out and being dropped off by their mother with the same attire.