Monday, February 27, 2006

Proverbs

Somewhere buried in Proverbs there must be a warning against butting in to other people’s business. Proverbs is my favorite book of the bible. I love it. It’s so practical. I use to do a Proverb a day, since there are 31 proverbs and 30-31 days in a month, it works out perfectly. But then I noticed I never spent time in any of the other books. Now I check in to Proverbs randomly, I check the date on my watch and flip to the corresponding chapter in Proverbs.

Unfortunately the wisdom I read in Proverbs doesn’t always “stick”. I need some super adhesive or something to stick those words on my heart, or maybe some kind of a deadbolt to lock them in my brain. I’m a mess.

Proverbs 6:16-19 tells me:
There are six things the LORD hates,
seven that are detestable to him:
haughty eyes,
a lying tongue,
hands that shed innocent blood,
a heart that devises wicked schemes,
feet that are quick to rush into evil,
a false witness who pours out lies
and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers.

I am guilty of all of the above. (yes, innocent blood = Jesus)

I think I’m going to lock up Proverbs 9:7 –8 in my mind until it sticks. ..You’ll have to dust off your Bible and look that one up.

11 comments:

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

Hey Erin! I used to listen to a tape when I was little...Judy Rogers is the artist. She sings a song...Seven Awful Things. Here's the link: http://judyrogers.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=35
It's helps to remember those types of things when they're put to music!! I'll have to look up the "not poking your nose in other people's business"!!

T5M said...

I knew the Kuhn ladies would come through for me! I should've placed a bet on which of you would come up with the answer first. Rats, I'm sure gambling is covered in Proverbs too... :-)

I'm going to check out the link..thanks!

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

It would probably be worth getting a couple of Judy Roger's CD's for the kids. She has a 10 Commandments song...to this day it's the only way that I can remember them...in order :-) Did Jermaine get the windows in?

CameraDawktor said...

Wouldn't it be nicer if our faith walk came easier? At least you are reading your Bible, I'm afraid mine's gotten a little dusty over the last few months!

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

I guess it is nice having some extra time on my hands...found some verses for ya! Gotta love the internet!!

Proverbs 9:13-18 Stupidity is like a loud, ignorant, shameless woman. She sits at the door of her house or on a seat in the highest part of town,and calls out to people passing by, who are minding their own business: "Come in, ignorant people!" To the foolish she says,"Stolen water is sweeter. Stolen bread tastes better." Her victims do not know that the people die who go to her house, that those who have already entered are now deep in the world of the dead.

Proverbs 26:17-17
Getting involved in an argument that is none of your business is like going down the street and grabbing a dog by the ears.

On the other hand there are these verses....

Proverbs 24:11-12
Don't hesitate to rescue someone who is about to be executed unjustly. You may say that it is none of your business, but God knows and judges your motives. He keeps watch on you; he knows. And he will reward you according to what you do.

T5M said...

You're the best Nance! :-)

Denise said...

The Proverbs are great...I'm actually doing that right now, reading through the Proverbs with each day...I've done it in the past and just came back to that. Although, I guess February wasn't the best month to do that since it only has 28 days! :)
Judy Rogers is great for remembering Scripture. I use it in my class all the time, the kids really like it. I would suggest getting the CD called "Teach me while my heart is tender" it has a lot of songs on it, I think almost 30 songs. Some good songs on it are the "10 Commandments" (that's still how I remember the 10 Commandments), "The Tongue", "I'm Hiding"

My_Fortune said...

A silent mouth is sweet to hear.

barbarakuhn said...

The Kuhnettes beat me to it - I love Judy Roger's songs
How 'bout I Tim 3 & 5 (busybodies/gossips)Also,the book, The Tongue Our Measure by Sino Ralevic, I've read it 3 times! ($5.49/CBD)
Gambling-why? Are we discontent w/what God has given us? 2 ways God has to gain money, work & inheritance. (For the Kuhnettes, ya better keep working :)
Nanny Babs

PhillyFilly said...

I don't think it can be considered "butting in" when it involves your family. It certainly is not "psychotic" to stick up for those you love, especially blood (and on a private blog to boot). With that said, I don't necessarily agree with the saying, "fight fire with fire." I do, however, believe in the Golden Rule: do unto others as you would want done unto you.

T5M said...

The Golden Rule is straight from the Bible, it's obvious that you're reading yours!

Matthew 7:12