Thursday, March 02, 2006

Irish Wisdom

I have to admit, I’ve always wanted to be one of those people who has a “saying” for every occasion. I want to be that wise old sage that passes on wisdom in the form of clever anecdote. I want my children to say, “my mother always said ______” (fill in the blank with something packed with practical wisdom that can be passed down through the ages …something besides, “no eating in the living room”).

Unfortunately I can’t remember any wise sayings or anecdotes. Wisdom seems to go in one ear and out the other. Heck, I can barely remember my kids names (Avery answers to “Fred” and Amelle answers to “Pumpkin Pie”). Whenever I do try to use sayings, I either do so inappropriately or I mess up the words altogether. …“A bird in the hand is worth something in the pot”, “that’s the kettle calling the pot fat”. I’m a mess.

Well, in celebration of Irish-American Heritage Month (made official, not by President Kennedy, but by “W”), here are some Irish Proverbs that I’m going to try to memorize and get right!

I complained that I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet

A trout in the pot is better than a salmon in the sea

A hair on the head is worth two in the brush

Poverty waits at the gates of idleness

If you want praise, die. If you want blame, marry.

Who gossips with you will gossip of you

Lie down with dogs and you'll rise with fleas.

Hunger is a good sauce

Heaven's leac na teine (stone before the fire) is reserved for the poor.

Melodious is the closed mouth.

Who keeps his tongue keeps his friends

There's nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse.

Life is a strange lad.

If God sends you down a stony path, may he give you strong shoes.

So don’t be surprised if you hear me exclaim “Who keeps his tongue is a strange lad”, or “a hair on the head is worth a salmon in the sea”. I know the chances of me becoming that wise old lady are slim, I know my limitations. I’ll probably go down as the coo coo that never made any sense.

I’ll leave you with my favorite:

May those who love us love us. And those that don't love us, May God turn their hearts. And if He doesn't turn their hearts, May he turn their ankles, So we'll know them by their limping.

4 comments:

Denise said...

you're not alone, Erin...Tim always laughs at me b/c I get sayings wrong :)

CameraDawktor said...

I like the saying at the bottom of your post, only the person I want to see limping I told that I didn't want to see them for ten years. Darn!!!!

barbarakuhn said...

I had so many I had to e-mail them to you.

Gotta go, my professional receptionist's duties call, I have to instruct the engineering students in the fine art of using the heavy duty stapler without jamming it. Wow, this job is demanding!

FloridaMom said...

Your father would have loved this blog. If it was Irish, he loved it. I think your brother is following in his footsteps. Last month he asked me to mail him Irish recipes. He is also into Irish coffee. Oh no!

I like the one about God turning the ankles of our enemies so we know who they are. Admittedly, some of these proverbs are unfamiliar to me. Some I like--some I don't.