Wednesday, April 26, 2006

All Grown Up?

Last weekend I asked Wendy if she thought that we’d ever grow up. After a few minutes of contemplation, we concluded that, at 30-something, we’ve probably reached the highest level of maturity that we are capable of attaining. Disappointingly, this was probably as good as it was going to get. ..like mental elves, getting older, but not taller - never able to reach a desirable height.

There just seems to be some disparity between the lines that are beginning to form around my eyes and what’s going on in my head.

The event that sparked these thoughts revolved around the large balls that Wendy had purchased for the children to play with last weekend. Comments like “Can we play with our balls when we get home” and “I hope Jack doesn’t bite our balls” that innocently emanated from the last row of the mini-van, causing Wendy and I to giggle in delight, indicated that something was definitely wrong.

Just last week Avery proudly announced during lunch, “I know what 69 is!”. After nearly choking on a crouton, I offered a fake smile and hoped that he wouldn’t tell me. Avery continued, “One hour and 9 minutes!”.

Several months ago after having dinner with Shaun & Wendy, and their neighbors Deb & Allen the children wanted the “adults” to come to their talent show. They provided us with a piece of paper in which we were instructed to sign in on. The children disappeared busying themselves with preparing for the show and the “adults” signed in: “Ima Jerk”, “Jim Nasium”, and other made up names. This was after many of these same adults had played with the kid’s “fart puddy” until they laughed so hard they cried. What type of adult even buys fart puddy for their children to play with?

I can’t imagine that our parents were as immature as we are. Some days I really think that we’re just slightly smarter than our kids; other days I don’t think we’re as smart. Were our parents just as immature and nonsensical as we are? Is maturity completely relative? Will I ever have that respectable air of maturity? Probably not, but the lines that are forming around my eyes are helpful in directing the tears of laughter away from my face. Just like there is bliss in ignorance, there is a certain joy in immaturity.

19 comments:

MaineMomKC5 said...

It's good to know your blog causes joy to so many readers!!!

P.S. I'm definitely more mature than you!!!

Kristy & John said...

It bewilders me that you think that you're so immature with all that grey hair I keep plucking out of your head.

TheKeyRing said...

Maturity is overrated, anyway. Perhaps after you an Nicky serve your duty as Matrons of Honor you guys can have maturity. Since I've never been a Matron of Honor I guess I get to stay immature a little longer YEAH!!! My kids love it when I act immature. When your kids are teenagers they'll think your more fun the less mature you act. By then it only happens in small spurts, so everyone gets a kick out of it. -- IF my sister ever gets married perhaps I'll have to cross that Matron thing then.

PhillyFilly said...

Honey I'm 65 and I'm still immature! Somday I'll grow up!

Kristy & John said...

Erin - you could be my "maid" then I could make you clean my house!! When you think about it, neither term is very respectful to the women that you choose to have with you on the most wonderful day of your life! I am so grateful to have you as a friend and your support has been more than I could ask for! You're the best!

T5M said...

Jones,
I just hope that your dress doesn't have one of those long trains that I'll have to spend all day bending over and fixing for you.

Let's think of a new term, how about "Friend of Honor" or better yet: "Runner up". ..hee hee..

Pam,
I agree, maturity is definitely overrated.

...and as for you "mainemom" - I've only regressed in the 10ish years that we've been friends.

FloridaMom said...

There are just some things that you hope your children do not remember as they were growing up when you had your immature moments. Funny how I can remember many of them from my 20's and 30's but I can't remember what happens last week! Now, that is a real sign of maturity.

MaineMomKC5 said...

Floridamom - no, that's a sign of senility!

Believe you me, I've heard the stories of your "youth" on Marsh Ave!!

FloridaMom said...

Senility is such a harse word. I prefer maturity!

MaineMomKC5 said...

Call it what you want....but I'm keeping my eyes open for nursing homes in the area.

Just think - BINGO all day everyday!

T5M said...

Yeh, forget the "summer home" - just check in to a "LTCF" from June-Oct...

...maybe if you offer to help with the AR, they cut you a break on "rent"...

:-)

FloridaMom said...

All this abuse from two people, self-claimed to be immature! When you consider the source, the outcome is a bunch of baloney.

T5M said...

Indeed.

...but it's a fine baloney - not like the pre-packaged oscar meyer brand...

T5M said...

btw...wait until you see what we've got planned for you when you really do get old and senile...


...hee hee hee (evil cackle)

FloridaMom said...

You know Erin, sometimes it is time to guit. Your sister-in-law has decided that she has given up on this blog. Maybe, you should do the same. After all, 51% of the inheritance go to the "good" child. Hard to believe that Wendy has the edge at the moment.

T5M said...

Okay, you can have the last word.


;-)

FloridaMom said...

Your funny!

T5M said...

..you're relentless, woman!

MaineMomKC5 said...

It's time to chirp in here.........

Is there such thing as a "fine baloney?"