Thursday, April 13, 2006

I'm coming out...(& other forgotten songs)

I have a confession that I feel I have to make. I am totally ashamed of this, but I’ve recently broken my 3 year exclusive talk radio habit with some FM radio listening. To my shame, the station I’ve landed on is Sunny 104.5 – sounds from the 60s, 70s, and 80s. It’s really an embarrassment. This is like the station your mom listened to when you were a kid. Most of the songs are just tolerable, but about 30% of the songs are great! I mean, when was the last time you heard a little REO Speedwagon – Oh yah, I said it…REO Speedwagon. Queen, Earth, Wind, and Fire, a little Fleetwood Mac…Good stuff, right?! How about this morning on my way to work I heard “I can’t get enough of your love” by Barry White – I turned the volume way up and was singing (if you can call it that) along with a cheesy smile on my face. They play songs that I grew up listening to, and I get a rush of nostalgia listening to them. Of course, some of the songs are rough – Footloose being one of them, but I can always flip back to Michael Medved when those songs come on. I couldn’t be any more uncool in my mini-van listening to “sounds from the 60s, 70s, and 80s”, but I don’t care. Now you know my dirty little secret, I’m out of the closet.

6 comments:

MaineMomKC5 said...

It's about time you came out of the closet! I always knew Jermaine and the kids were just a front for your Hair Band Love!

I do have to admit I threw my "Journey - Greatest Hits" in my car the other day!

Come sail away, come sail away, come sail away with me...........

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

what's wrong with a little "footloose"?! i used to LOVE that song! (even though we weren't allowed to watch the movie when we were younger!). speaking of journey...phil wants us to go with him to see them in concert...along with def leppard..hmmmmm...

Kristy & John said...

I made a special request to have them sing that song (Darling I can't get enough of your love baby)at our wedding - I love it - the jingle is just the best!

Does anyone remember that song "Mony, Mony" what did that mean anyways? I've always wanted to know. Mony mony ride the pony..

MaineMomKC5 said...

Here is your answer Kristy:

The band (Tommy James and the Shondells)had the music written, but needed a girl's name for the title. They wanted a name no one ever heard before, like "Sloopy" or "Bony Maronie," but couldn't think of anything. Kenny Laguna, a producer who played keyboards and sang with The Shondells, explains:

One morning, Tommy looked up and saw the corner of a building, it was the Mutual Of New York, MONY MONY.

Billy Idol made the song famous in 1987!

And this concludes your song trivia for today!

FloridaMom said...

You always were a closet girl or should I say behind any door worked. It's a family secret so I won't say any more but you know what I mean, Erin.

T5M said...

Yes mother, I use to poop myself behind doors. I'm putting it all out on the table. I'm coming clean. Fortunately I kicked this nasty habit just in time for the prom.

Wow - I'm glad I came out about the music thing, it's nice to know that my 20 & 30-something friends are just as corny as me. I feel much better knowing I'm not alone...

Here's another one: I secretly like "Kid Bopz". ..not all of it, but some of it. It's true, I sing right along with Avery & Amelle.