Friday, April 14, 2006

Its a good Friday for bad people

I know no one likes to think of themselves as "bad people" - we all think we're good people, but it's really all based on the measuring stick we use. Compare ourselves to other humans, we run down the checklist (I don't lie..much, I don't steal things, I don't cheat on my spouse, I give to charity, I helped that lady with the flat tire that time..that was nice of me, etc..), we fare pretty well. But when we compare ourselves to a Holy God that is without flaw, then we see that we're not as "good" as we think. (I lied to my kids about the Easter bunny, I stole some pencils from work, etc..). Anyway, it doesn't matter how bad we are because Jesus died for ALL of our sins and those who accept His sacrifice on their behalf will be made righteous in the site of God. That's what Good Friday is all about. That's what I am thankful for today.

9 comments:

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

Amen to that! (I like the picture too!) Any plans for the weekend?

PhillyFilly said...

Amen to that sister! I'm looking forward to church on Sunday with the grandkids.

T5M said...

Plans for the weekend:
Taking a midterm tomorrow.
Church on Sunday followed by Easter dinner Sylvia-style (yum!).

Happy Easter to you all!

Philly Mama said...

You and your Jesus. I know God loves you E.

T5M said...

...I forgot one part:

"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" 1 John 1:9

Artz Fartz said...

One thing about Christianity - how can stealing pencils be put in the same category as cheating on your spouse? I can't think of anything worse than cheating on my husband, I could never hurt him that much and I would be devistated if he did that to me. My husband is my best friend, the betrayal, the lies, the whole thing would probably kill me...how can you put that next to stealing a pencil?

T5M said...

Sin is sin, if it's not right, it's wrong. As for the degree of sin - only God will be the judge. That's why I don't understand why Christians are viewed as "judgemental"...if anything, Christians know that there is only one judge (God). We're all sinners, no one person is better than the next. There is no such thing as a "good Christian".

MaineMomKC5 said...

Hmmmmmmmm.....

I have a REAL hard time thinking I'm no better than the guy who killed that 10-year old girl recently with plans to chop her up and eat her.

Unfortunately there are a lot of Christians out there who think they can be judgemental or speak for God. They hold signs at rallies saying things like, "God Hates Fags" or "You'll Burn in Hell." Those are the ones that make the cover stories. It gives the good, non-judgemental Christians the bad rap.

T5M said...

You're right.

I love you my Sistah.

-EM