Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Happy Birthday Momma!

Happy Birthday to the woman who made all this possible. Truly mother, were it not for you, there would be no me (and I can’t say that to too many people). There is so much to admire about you, mom, where do I begin? You are loyal, loving, and giving - sometimes to your own detriment. PLUS you can out-aerobicize most people who are half your age! I won’t embarrass you by telling your age, but I will provide this handy test so that you can gauge just how old you are:

How many of these do you remember:
1. Blackjack chewing gum
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar-water
3. Candy cigarettes
4. Soda-pop machines that dispensed bottles
5. Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes
6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
7. Party lines
8. Newsreels before the movie
9. P. F. Flyers
10. Butch wax
11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (e.g., Olive - 6933)
12. Peashooters
13. Howdy Doody
14. 45-RPM records ... and 78-RPM records
15. S&H Green Stamps
16. Hi-fi systems
17. Metal ice trays with lever
18. Mimeograph paper
19. Blue flashbulb
20. Packards
21. Rollerskate keys
22. Cork popguns
23. Drive-in theaters
24. Studebakers
25. Washtub wringers

If you remembered!
0 - 5 = You're still young
6 - 10 = You are getting older
11 - 15 = Don't tell your age
16 - 25 = You're older than you think!

10 comments:

TheKeyRing said...

I can't believe I'm already in the "don't tell your age" range -- time sure does fly when your having fun...In all fairness to my age the metal ice trays were at my grandmothers house, the drive in theater was one my best friend's grandfather bought and tried to revive as a "come back" and although we never used the word prefix for our phone number, my grandparents still had it on their phone, so if I subtract all that I'm just "getting older". That's me, master of the art of justification.

Kristy & John said...

My mom lives 1 mile from a drive-in, still has an occasional piece of black-jack gum, John was just talking about the phone number thing (it started with the name of your neighborhood, I still own some 45's, recently broke my parents' 8 track player - this game isn't fair!

Anyways, Happy Birthday Joline!

T5M said...

Okay, I scored a "6"

Metal ice trays (my neighbor had them)
Rollerskate keys
Drive-ins (of course)
Wax bottles & candy cigarettes (Sylvia just bought some last week from that country restaurant ...I can't remember the name, that must be a sign of old age).
And, Papa Ginos had the table side juke boxes - those were the best! Why don't they still have those?!

Kristy & John said...

I think Nifty-Fifties still has 'em - I could go for a Nifty-Fifty shake right about now!

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

country restaurant...you mean cracker barrel, erin?
those metal ice trays are the WORST! especially when you pull them out of the freezer to fill them up and get your hands wet...they stick to the cold metal...like that kid in the christmas story!
i went to my first drive-in movie theater a couple of years ago up where seth's from...they still have them there...can't beat two movies for less then the price of one down here!
hope you have a very happy birthday jolene!!

T5M said...

Oh, and by the way..this is your birthday card (a birthday blog).

Love you,
Erin

FloridaMom said...

Forget the test, I knew most of them! Who wants the entire world to know that you are another year older? Alright, that being said, communication in the 21st Century is great except when bloggers express their birthday greetings "on line".

What ever happened to the cute little cards that you'd get in the mail? It seems to me that you do not have to be "old" to remember those!

JD said...

Happy Birthday Mom!

I love you!

Shaun

MaineMomKC5 said...

Happy Birthday MA! You don't look a day over 58 1/2!! Not even a minute!

I have the best Monster-in-law a girl could ask for...

oops...

Mother-in-law, yeah that's what I meant!!

No seriously, your the best Mother-in-law a girl could ask for...well, not like I actually asked for you, you sort of came with the package. Kinda like those fruit baskets you get with the strange tubes of meat. But some people really like those tubes of meat.

FloridaMom said...

Mainemomkc5-----
At least the tube of meat wasn't rotten