Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Memorial Day

I know this is kind of “belated”, but such is life. On Sunday our church honored all of the veterans by asking them to come to the front of the sanctuary. The men, mostly elderly, stood in front of the congregation and they announced their name, and their branch and years of service. Some had fought in the Korean war, some in Vietnam, some in World War II even. They stood so proud and I was overwhelmed with emotion just looking at them. I leaned over and explained to Avery that these men were soldiers that had fought for our country. I couldn’t help but chuckle to myself that he must’ve thought we had a pretty weak army – made up of a bunch of hunched over, gray haired men with glasses, some with canes even...not very formidable.

They were all so cute, all lined up in their old man attire – some with suits, others with just the polyester slacks and short sleeved buttoned down shirts. After they had all introduced themselves, the congregation clapped and clapped and then a standing ovation and more clapping. Tears filled my eyes. I couldn’t help but think of my dad, who had served in the Army. He would’ve loved to have stood there and told of his service to our country.

The church honors these men (and women) each year, for many it’s probably the only time they are asked about their military service, an otherwise forgotten chapter in their lives. As they walked back to their seats I noticed one gentleman using a cane and another, older gentleman walking alongside of him trying to assist him. “No man left behind” I thought.

I am so proud of our military heroes and so thankful for them.

5 comments:

Kristy & John said...

I second that, unfortunately, times are different and I don't think I would want to have my son or daughter enlist for the military these days. I actually found out this weekend that John wanted to when he was about 18 or 19, and his dad, who is a Vietnam Vet, talked him out of it. Hmmm, makes you wonder...

MaineMomKC5 said...

This blog alone brought tears to my eyes!!

T5M said...

In my humble mind, enlisting in the military is one of the most honorable things a person can do.

We have a few close friends with children who are serving in Iraq - it's not easy for them, but really, what profession could make you any prouder of your children?

Kristy & John said...

I do agree with you on that - it is a huge sacrifice to enlist in the military. I have to clarify my first comment - John was actually 24 (it was five years ago) right after 9/11 when wanted to join the army. We talked about it this morning. I don't totally understand politics, so I won't comment about how I actually feel about war and military.

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

good post....they had the veterans and active military stand in our church too this weekend. seth said he wishes that he could stand during those times. definitely one of the most honorable things...for the men (and women) that serve...as well as the families that stay behind...praying for their safe return.