Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Observations from the field..

A few weeks ago I found myself at the outlet mall in Philadelphia – it was the first warm day of the year and I was rushing around to find some capris and short sleeved tops for Amelle. (I don’t know why the change of season always catches me off guard – it happens each year at approximately the same time, yet inevitably my kids end up either over, or under dressed).

Anyway, on my way out to the mall Avery had asked me to buy the movie Jurassic Park for him (he was learning about dinosaurs in school). As I sped through the mall I noticed one of those mall carts with DVDs on it. There was a large sign above the cart, “Urban Movies”, so I stopped and asked the associate who was comfortably reclined in one of those director chairs, watching “The Kings of Comedy”, if they had “Jurassic Park”. She looked at me like I had two heads and then let out a little chuckle as she bluntly muttered “No”. I knew it was a long shot because the movie is like 10 years old, but it didn’t warrant all that attitude, not from a mall cart clerk, not from anyone really. As I glanced back up at the DVDs on the cart, I noticed a common theme; they were all black movies. Duh.

Why is there a cart in the darn mall with only black movies on it? What if there was a cart with only white movies – would that be wrong?

The kicker was that on my way back I passed the cart again and who was standing at it, but the Easter Bunny. Yes, the Easter Bunny. The 7-foot tall WHITE rabbit with the yellow and blue polka-dotted bow tie. He was chatting with the associate who thought my Jurassic Park inquiry was stupid. They probably had a good laugh about the dumb white lady. I didn’t care about that, I was more concerned about the Easter Bunny being away from his throne. I thought it was inappropriate and unprofessional for the EB to be shopping. Today the Urban Movie cart, tomorrow Victoria's Secret. Who knows...

I’ve heard it said that there is a lesson to be learned from every experience. From this experience I learned that the Easter bunny has an affinity for black movies.

6 comments:

FloridaMom said...

The lesson you should be learning is to get your Spring Shopping done BEFORE the first warm day. Then you won't make yourself crazy.

MaineMomKC5 said...

I think you should be more worried about that scary-looking Easter Bunny! That thing is pathetic!

Didn't you have that vest like five years ago?

PhillyFilly said...

I took one of my grandkids to see the easter bunny there and thought he was the scariest thing I'd ever seen!

By the way Erin I love the newest pictures of your new house! It's coming along!

T5M said...

...Did he leave the Malcolm X movie in your grandchildren's Easter basket?

Kristy & John said...

cuckoo cuckoo

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

i haven't seen the "urban movie" cart before...i have seen the kung-fu movie kiosk!