Monday, May 08, 2006

Quite an AFFAIR

It's that time of the year again - the time when otherwise unoccupied parking lots and miscellaneous large spaces transform into an explosion of light, sound, pipe organ music and cotton candy. Fair Season.

There was no way to avoid a visit to the fair this year - the ferris wheel could be easily spotted from the turnpike exit. It would spin slowly in the distance in all it's glory, mocking me with it's flashing lights, knowing that it owned my children. It was a force too great for me to escape. Amelle and Avery would go crazy in the backseat as soon as they spotted it "Can we go to the fair!" they'd shout in gleeful anticipation.

I wanted to tell them of the impractical use of money: $25 for a ride all day wrist band that we'd only get an hour out of, $5 cotton candy, $3 water, and the no-win games that we'd be heckled into playing. And then there was the danger: large power lines running all over the place, roller coasters that were built in a day by temp employees, and transient carnival workers.

So on Saturday we headed to the fair. The children had a great time. The below photo illustrates the "fair dance", you know, the dance that is done by children when they are so excited that they have to just move their bodies to release some of the energy (otherwise they'd combust).

6 comments:

FloridaMom said...

It is a wonderful thing. It is in the Casey blood (and a lot of other families blood also.) I don't remember my mother or father ever going on any rides. Memere had told me once how she and Pepere when to Coney Island and rode on the biggest roller coaster in the World. I believe this was in the 1940's.

However, since then the "thrill of the rides" runs thick in the genes. Dad and I could't get enough. We introduce you and Shaun very early in life to the "thrill". Now, you are passing it on to your children. Hopefully, I never get too old to have that "thrill". It is such a happy place to visit.

MaineMomKC5 said...

We took the kids to Canobie Lake Park last weekend. It was such a blast! There was hardly anyone there so we basically had the place to ourselves.

Shaun and I were saying how happy it makes us to see the kids have such joy on the rides - it's almost like we enjoy it more than them!!

T5M said...

Amelle was soooo happy to be on those rides! You know she never wanted to go on the rides before - the only kid that could go to Disney and Canobie and be happy to pushed around in a stroller all day. ...Well all that has changed! When she got on the first ride - her expression was PRICELESS!

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

wish i had my camera when seth did his "fair dance" on saturday :-) just kidding! we must have just missed you guys when we came...

Kristy & John said...

You have to let Amelle know that I bought the same shirt last week! Make aure that she wears it this Sunday...
I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a scary thing that I own some of the same articles of clothing as your daughter!!

T5M said...

It's definitely scary - especially with you giving her your hand-me-downs that John accidently shrinks!

Gotta love a man that does laundry!! ;-)