Saturday, May 13, 2006

Sorry Mom, this blog isn't about you...

I should be writing a paper right now, but it’s the eve of mother’s day and I’ve got something (someone) on my mind…

Wendy. Wendy is one of the best mothers I know. She gives so much of herself to her children; it amazes me. I am so proud of her. She came into Shaun’s life when Joelle was only 1+ year old and rescued him from being a weekend single-father. There aren’t many women who would take in a man with two little baby girls, but she did. Then she stuck around and wound up having a child of her own, totaling FOUR children she has to take care of. (Yes, I group the man in as a child, for that is what men are – largely just grown infants).

She is so invested in those three children. She always seems to be “on”. When I barely have the energy to pour cereal, she’s making chocolate chip pancakes with whipped cream damns full of syrup.

It’s one thing to love and care for the children that you give birth to, but Wendy doesn’t skip a beat or play favoritism between her biological child and her step children. An outsider looking in would never be able to distinguish which child is biologically hers. She truly defies the stereotype of a “stepmother” – she is everything good and nothing bad when it comes to raising her three children.

I’m actually thinking about putting myself up for adoption so that I can get in on being the 6th Casey - the Casey 6 - yeah, has a nice ring...

Though both my mother and my mother-in-law are incredible women whom I am blessed to be loved by, the honor of this year's mother's day blog goes to Wendy. I love you, Sis.

8 comments:

JD said...

Wow, very nice. Only you're making me look bad. A good sister would write this stuff and sign my name to it!
To all the mom's in my life...you're all great Moms. Happy Mothers Day!!!

FloridaMom said...

Wendy deserves all of the accolades that you bestowed upon her in your "Mother's Day Blog. She is an amazing woman! We have all been very fortunate to have her in our lives.

There is also another very unselfish mom that deserves her own accolades. My daughter. Erin, you are unbelievable. Although being a Mom ranks #1 for you, you excell in many other areas. You are loved by your co-workers, respected by your fellow classmates and admired by all who have had the privelege of knowing you. You make taking care of your family seem effortless. We all know that it isn't that easy.

Your children love you unconditionally because they are young and needy. When they are grown, they will love you because they will realize what an amazing human being you have been to them all of their lives.

Happy Mother's Day to my daughter and daughter-in-law!

T5M said...

Aww...shucks...

...I learned from the best :-)

MaineMomKC5 said...

Thanks, I love you too! Those were very nice words - far from the poodle attack comment! I do have to tell you that I am no longer accepting applications for adoption - at least at this time.

On another note, I doubt I'll get the "Auntie of the Week Award." Poor Avery watched Pee Wee's Big Adventure like 400 times, and I taught him to kiss both of his biceps and say, "Welcome to the gun show." So...you may want to re-think your kind words. I did however make him "syrup pools" just about every morning if that counts for anything!!

You have a lot to be proud of as well; you work, go to school, raise three great kids and NEVER complain!! Life is hard enough single never mind throwing all that on top and trying to stay sane.

So Happy Mother's Day to you and also to my wonderful Mother-in-Law (who provided me with a wonderful sister-in-law/best friend and a caring and loving husband). Without you Caseys I'd be a clean and innocent woman - and who wants that??!!

T5M said...

You might've been innocent, but I definitely not clean.

T5M said...

Oh, and by the way, I'm not single, I'm actually married (as far as I know).

You've spent more time with my husband lately than I have, perhaps you know something I don't know?

MaineMomKC5 said...

Oh, you are married aren't you?? Ha ha, I just meant it's hard enough taking care of yourself, never mind being married, working, going to school and raising children.

Here in Maine, we have what is called "Folygamy" which is essential female polygamy. I have now taken Jerms on as my second husband. Once I saw his "doody" there was no going back!!

T5M said...

...one less child for me to have to take care of...

JK - I was glad to have him home last night - Mom was "off duty" - I wouldn't even look at the kids! Amaya woke up in the middle of the night and I gladly handed her off to Jerms and went back to sleep! Hallelujah!!