Monday, May 22, 2006

They even WALK differently in Maine

Saturday morning confirmed the move for me. Wendy and I took the 6 kids to a Cystic Fibrosis walk. I changed out of my flip-flops into a comfy pair of sneakers, grabbed my camera and a bottle of water, put Amaya in her stroller and was ready for the walk. I felt like a fundraising walk veteran, after all, it was just the previous week that I had boarded the train for Philadelphia with the girls to do the Race for a Cure breast cancer walk. I thought I knew what I was doing...I was wrong.

Come to find out, the CF walk was slightly different than the 80,000 person center city Philadelphia walk. Pictured left, fellow walkers make their way around the bend. Somewhat different than the crowded city streets in Philadelphia last weekend. (Those little white specks are the people) ...note our position: dead last.

Sure, Wendy and William had the Jeep Wrangler stroller - Adventure Edition. Amaya and I were in the Toyota Corolla stroller model. Poor Amaya's cheek were jiggling the entire time as we ventured over the rugged coastal terrain.

The two events, juxtaposed, seem to confirm why we're moving. Everything about the CF walk was perfect to me. From the pick up wiffle ball game that Avery quickly joined, to the "lobster toss", to the ocean breeze and beautiful coastal scenery, to grilled steak tips that were out of this world, to hearing "We Will Rock You" in the middle of the woods, to the outhouse with a flushing toilet and the basket of hand sanitizer that was thoughtfully placed outside...the whole event was perfect. I know that other people enjoy the city scene, but I'm glad to trade in the subway station for a gravel road.

3 comments:

MaineMomKC5 said...

You can't beat Maine - especially this time of the year! Like the slogan goes, "Maine - The Way Life Should Be."

Kristy & John said...

Wow - it is so beautiful up there! I have to admit, I do love the city life, but how can you resist breathing fresh air, being surrounded by trees and rarely hearing sirens, cars and tire squeals in the night! That's one of the best things I love about visiting my mom - wide open space and feeling the serenity of being "back home"!

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

i'd give up the "city life" in a heartbeat! when we were flying in on sunday i told seth that whenever we fly i think to myself "i'd much rather be where we were then "home" in philadelphia!"...hopefully someday....in the mean time we'll just keep visiting our friends all over the place! :-) looking forward to seeing maine!