Monday, July 10, 2006

Working from home

Not too long ago people got up, got dressed, got in their cars and drove to work. At the end of the day, they drove home. Work was work and home was home. With the advent of technology, that line has become fuzzier. I had the opportunity to work from home while I was at Cardinal. It was grueling; eight hours in front of a computer with no distractions! How I missed my co-workers! Shaun and I have had this same discussion - about how working from home is so much more productive than going to work (no socializing, no distractions, etc..).

Since we've been in Maine, Jermaine and I have both entertained opportunities to work from home. In fact, we're still entertaining this concept. Would it work, would it make us happy? My last month at Cardinal I worked 20 hours per week from home. I felt like I could never really relax. Whenever I sat down at the computer I would immediately check my Cardinal mail, then do whatever it was I set out to do. When you work from home, there is no clear distinction between work and home life. You can never really leave work.

Even aside from working without distractions, I think you actually work harder from home because you're so worried about someone thinking that you aren't working enough, that you over-compensate.

Jerms and I have a favorite field - it's a hay farm that we pass going to and from our house (pictured to the left). We wait with anticipation to see what the farmer is going to do next. It's funny; we love that darn farm, it's just beautiful. One evening we watched the farmer drive his tractor around picking up hay bails and the thought came to me that working from home isn't a new concept at all, but a very old one. It was 7pm and this elderly farmer was hard at work. There was no punching out at 5pm for him. He wasn't collecting overtime or worried about his boss seeing him working past five. He was just working.

Of course, the oldest profession itself has been performed from home (no, not that profession, you sicko)...MOTHERHOOD! Oh, it's a job alright. Like the ARMY in so many ways: "Not just a job, it's an adventure", "the toughest job you'll ever love", and you have to enjoy wearing green (spit up) and getting up at the crack of dawn.

Tomorrow I have two interviews, one is a tremendous opportunity in every way, but with a 50 minute commute, the other is less of a career move, but it's a work from home opportunity. I'm praying that the Lord will open and close the appropriate doors because I am completely incompetent when it comes to making big decisions (don't tell my interviewers though).

Sorry to bother you all with my musings...

7 comments:

FloridaMom said...

Working from home could not make me happier. I LOVE IT! Those days of getting up, getting dressed in a suit, driving 60 or more minutes to work are gone!! Now, I just roll out of bed and get to work. There are no distractions so I get the work done in a minimum amount of time in my pajamas!

MaineMomKC5 said...

I have to say I feel the opposite - when I work from home, I start to think about dishes, laundry, the dust bunnies that are multiplying like good dust bunnies do, etc...

I enjoy getting dressed up, dropping the young son off at daycare, getting my coffee and being around other adults. It (almost) makes me feel grown up.

However, it's easy for me to say this since I only go in the office three days a week, I don't work in a cube, I don't have a set time schedule and I have a great boss.

The Gawel's said...

Good luck on your interviews! Let us know how they go. I think I feel more like Wendy- I would start to worry about other things then work. I notice I already am doing it with school. I am starting to take my notes to the gym and the library! Anyways, GOOD LUCK!!

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

it's probably splitting hairs but farming's probably the oldest profession...adam came before eve...they worked the garden before they had kids....
how'd the interviews go? any possibilities of a part-time job? that would be nice....:-)

T5M said...

More hair splitting - I guess then, fatherhood came before motherhood...God - Father to Adam.

Hee hee...

Interviews went okay - just waiting to see where God wants me now... (hopefully he doesn't decide until late August/early Sept... :-)

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

are you done with school for the summer?

T5M said...

Nope, not yet. I finish up at the very end of this month...for good! (assuming I pass these last two classes - I graduate in August!) ...can't wait!!!