Wednesday, July 12, 2006

You Can't Be ANYthing

My mother raised me to believe that I can be whatever I want to be in life. Until recently, this is what I believed. During last Sunday’s sermon, the pastor informed us that we can’t be anything we want to be. I have to say that I felt a tremendous weight lifted off of me when he said that. He’s right; I can’t be whatever I want to be! How sweet that concept is, and how liberating! Say it with me now “I can’t be whatever I want to be” - Hooray!!

Now, in defense of my mother, I know she repeated that mantra out of love. In fact, I’ve told my children the same thing. And it’s almost true – you can be anything you want to be in life, except if you want to be a NBA all-star and your 4 foot 2. ..or if you want to be a Olympic skeet shooter and you’re blind, or if you want to be a doctor, but you faint at the sight of blood.. You get the picture.

The point is that you can only be what God has designed you to be. You can’t be anything outside of that. I can’t be Tiger Woods, but he can’t be me either (though he probably WISHES he could be). I can tell Avery that he can be anything he wants to be in life, but if God hasn’t given him the ability, he won’t be able to “be like Mike”, no matter how hard he practices basketball (baseball is another story – he already surpasses Mike in that area). We live in a world where people will basically do anything to be like someone else. We need to just figure out what God wants us to be, and then concentrate on getting there. It’s a foolproof plan.

I don’t know what or who I was trying to be like, but I have to say that I truly felt relief when I realized that I can’t be anything I want to be. Maybe its because I put a lot of pressure on myself – I don’t know the psychology behind it. Maybe I’m just weird? Who knows – who cares. The reason for this blog is to pass along a little bit of good information that came my way.

4 comments:

FloridaMom said...

I remember saying "I don't care what you do when you grow up, but be the best that you can be at whatever you are doing."

T5M said...

Yes, you did say that...several times. I remember that clearly. In fact, you would sometimes elaborate and say, "If you want to be a trash collector, I wouldn't mind, as long you are the best trash collector you can be."

Fortunately God didn't design me to be a trash collector; just an lowly HR person.

I love you Mom, you done good! ;-)

FloridaMom said...

You may be a "lowly HR person" but you are the best "Lowly HR person" that you could be. I know because you told me so!

barbarakuhn said...

It was a sad day when I had to tell Nancy she probably would not be an Olympic gymnist.

Nanny Babs