Monday, August 07, 2006

Confessional

Perhaps this blog entry is a little too diaryish, but what the heck, we can all be real here…right?

Have you ever wondered if maybe you might’ve suffered from a mini-stroke and didn’t know it? Two weeks ago I hired a babysitter while I took my comp exam. I figured that I’d need her for 6 hours and that I’d pay her $7 per hour. I spent almost the entire ride to the exam trying to figure out what the total would be…I couldn’t figure out what 6x7 was! …I even tried to remember 7 x 7 and then subtract 6, but couldn’t remember that either. Then I tried 8 x 7, figuring that I’d just subtract 12, but that yielded nothing. I broke out in a cold sweat, there was nothing there; it was like I was brain dead. I ended up adding up my sixes….6+6= 12, +6 = 18 +18 = 36. Now it could’ve been that I had a lot on my mind (I was on my way to a six hour exam that would seal my graduate school fate), however, the thought did cross my mind that I may’ve suffered a mini-stroke that only affected the math portion of my brain (what’s that, the left side?) Apparently the right side is still in tact, because I passed the test. Fortunately, you don’t need to perform basic single digit multiplication in order to get your master’s degree.

The other thing on my mind is that since I’ve been wearing flip-flops all summer long, my heels are like sandpaper and I don’t know what to do about it. Jermaine’s feet are like silk and mine could be used to smooth spackle. I had a pedicure about a week ago and the poor woman who worked on my feet spent about an hour scrubbing them. Her arms had quite the workout! I left with the soft feet that I so desire, but a day later, the roughness had re-appeared. It’s not all bad because I can use my heels to quite effectively scratch my bug-bitten feet and legs. It’s actually like having a loofa…a built-in exfoliant. Does anyone have any advice on what to do about this? My grandmother use to put lotion on, then plastic gloves, then thin white gloves over that to treat her rough psoriasis-ridden hands. I’m not going there – so don’t suggest anything crazy, I’m not going through great lengths to solve the problem, but if there is a product out there that can help, I’ll try it.

Lastly, have you ever skipped breakfast before church and then been so hungry that when the communion plate came around you looked for a large cracker-thing, like it’s going to take an edge off the hunger? I haven’t, I was just wondering if any of you have.

7 comments:

Kristy & John said...

You are crazy!! I actually sometimes put thick lotion on my feet and then put cotton socks on before bed. Doesn't work too well in the summer though, unless you have good air conditioning. Just keep getting pedicures every two weeks - you deserve it girl!!

T5M said...

You're old school, like my memere! Try putting some plastic bags on those tootsies before you put the socks on and let me know how that goes!

barbarakuhn said...

Your feet? What until it's your face. I try not to look in a mirror to closely. Who is that old lady anyway? I watched 3 kids (7 kids in the family)on Sat. The 7 yr. boy asked, "so what do you do?" (Like, you don't have any kids.) Good question kid I'm still trying to find out, hmmm $7/hr. maybe I'll come to Maine. All I ever wanted to be was a Mom.
Nanny Babs

Denise said...

Satin Hands from Mary Kay is great on hands that are dry and cracking and it would probably work really well on feet too.

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

two words...PUMICE STONE!
i'm with your gran-ma...i've done vaseline with socks overnight. helps a little bit. i hate wearing socks to bed though...

T5M said...

Oooh Nance - I love your new picture! ...I think its probably time to update mine!

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

yeah...a new picture would be good!! it's like you're perpetually pregnant in your current one! i like the one you have for xanga :-)