Thursday, August 03, 2006

Pets ROCK!

Yesterday both children came in from playing in the yard and informed me that they had new pets. I took a deep breath, said a quick prayer that they weren't going to pull out a snake, and opened my eyes to a see their delightful new pets. Amelle proudly held up a glass baby food jar that she had procured from the recylcing bin, filled with water, and carefully placed her pet into. I smiled as I saw the rock quietly submerged at the bottom of the container. "He's beautiful!" I proclaimed, with much excitement. "What's his name?" I asked. "Mr. Rock, and Avery has one too" she announced. Avery then showed me his pet, which he initially named "Japan", but then later changed to "Rockie". Later that day I took Amelle to the pet section of Walmart and purchaed small glass fishbowls and colorful pebbles to adorn the bottom of the glass.

I think the children were as excited about those pet rocks as they would've been if we had gotten a dog. Avery put a large rock in the bowl next to his little pet rock, so logically, I asked him if that was Rockie's friend, and he said, "No, it's his house".

5 comments:

FloridaMom said...

Now, how harmful could a little fish be inside that bowl? Of course, when they go to fish heaven, it could be a little tramatic for Avery & Amelle.
Plus, the fish food stinks!

T5M said...

Yeah, plus you have to clean those bowls out - yuck! I once lost my little beta fish down the sink while cleaning out his bowl. That tramatized me, let alone the kids.

I have to add that yesterday I heard a large thump followed by screaming and shrieking. I ran upstairs to find Amelle's pet rock bowl on the ground in a puddle of water. Apparently she tripped while carrying it and it slipped out of her hands. Everything was unharmed though...

Kristy & John said...

Hey Erin - Can you believe that my beta is still alive? How long ago did we get that from Wal-mart - like a year?!?

The Gawel's said...

Ashlyn's beta fish (AJ a.k.a. Aunt Jen) died last week. She did cry for about a minute and then asked if she could get a red one next! Well, we visted Aunt Jen this weekend and Ashlyn is moving up in animals.(They are eventually trying to get a puppy)She got a white baby hamster! Jen of course asked Dave and I if it was o.k. It is very cute but Ash does not understand why it sleeps all day. She gets to play with it right before she goes to bed. She actually looks forward to bed time now. The other night she wanted to go to bed at 6! This hamster has several names Sweetie (real), and Ballerina (nickname). Tell Avery and Amelle good luck with their new pet- by the way, what does it eat???

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

hopefully the rocks will get along with that big swiss dog that jermaine wants to get :-)