Sunday, August 27, 2006

Sunday Ramblings

Church is so good. I would imagine that even non-believers would benefit from the sermons, but I don’t know, maybe that’s the Spirit in me talking. Today we were challenged to ponder whether or not we want to live a life like Elijah – leaving a legacy, living for the Lord, or if we want to live a life of earthy comfort like Solomon. I want both. The Spirit in me wants me to live like Elijah, but since I’m an earthly creation, I enjoy earthly comforts. I struggle with being “of the world”.

I like the idea of living like a king (Solomon), having all of the luxury items I want at my disposal. But those things don’t fulfill and cannot sustain. I think that’s why so many celebrities end up on drugs or depressed, or worse. When you can afford all of life’s luxuries and you still feel empty inside, you realize that you need something else to fill your soul. You really never hear about missionaries strung out on drugs - and these are people who have very little in terms of earthy comforts, but are sustained and deeply fulfilled by doing the Lord's work. The bottom line is that only Jesus can fill that space, though most try people to satisfy that longing with one thing or another.

Its like having an itch that you can't get rid of. It feels better when you scratch it, but then it comes back once you stop scratching. If you're occupied with other things you might not notice it, but sure enough, as soon as things quiet down, there it is again. The only antidote for that itch is the Lord. He is deeply satisfying.

I sometimes find myself looking for fulfillment in the wrong places (sometimes in people, sometimes in "things), and then I remember (or am reminded) that my fulfillment comes from the Lord. Elijah had that, he was a prophet and he did the Lord’s work. He lived in the wilderness and was fed by birds (1 Kings 17) for cryin’ out loud – he didn’t have luxury, but he had the best thing of all – the Lord.

4 comments:

FloridaMom said...

How true! We, as humans, are never completely satified. The BIG "If only" comes to mind. I can't count how many times I've said, "if only" I could do this either to myself or out loud. Even in retrospect, "if only" I had.....

I sure isn't easy being human!!!!

MaineMomKC5 said...

Although I don't believe that the Lord is the only way to true fulfillment in life, I definitely understand what you are saying. We can have all the money in the world and still not be happy or satisfied. We have many examples of that by just standing in the grocery store line and looking at celebrity magazines. Hollywood is a mecca for anorexics, selfishness, cheaters, drug users and plain 'ole unhappy people.

Even though the bible was written so long ago, the stories in it still relate to today. Yes, technology and fashion have changed (thank goodness b/c loin cloths sure would be cold up here in Maine), but humans are still human.

A funny thought just came to me. I was just imagining western life way back when. I can picture some young teenage cowboy going, "did you check out the rims on that wagon wheel??!"

Denise said...

We had a sermon on 1 Kings 17 on Sunday as well...about how God provided for Elijah by sending him food from the ravens (which is amazing in itself b/c the pastor said "have you ever seen a raven that didn't eat the food that was before him?")and water from the brook but then another point that he made was that even after God provided for Elijah he dried up the brook, so Elijah had to keep relying on the Lord. The main point was that our lives shouldn't be focused on just the material blessings that the Lord can give us, but even in the tough times our main goal is to glorify God.

barbarakuhn said...

How about Romans 12 - be not transformed to this world...

BK