Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Where, O death, is your victory?

My heart is heavy today. Normally not a news person, I find myself searching the web and radio for more information on yesterday’s school shooting. I have all the facts, but I’m still searching for answers. I won’t find any, because there is no piece of evidence that could explain why a man would go into a schoolhouse and shoot eleven little Amish girls. There is just nothing that is going to make that, make sense. It’s not revenge for something that happened 20 years ago, it’s not anger at life or at God; it’s none of those things.

This is where faith enters the picture. This is the part of the story when I remember to turn to the One who has the answers and I find comfort in knowing that He is in control and that I don’t have to worry about the “whys”. He’s got those eleven girls and eleven families in the palm of His hand and He’s taking care of His children. Five of those beautiful little girls are standing in the presence of God and Jesus sits at the foot of the hospital beds of six more. They haven’t slipped out from under God, He’s got them.


I declare to you, brothers, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: "Death has been swallowed up in victory."
"Where, O death, is your victory?
Where, O death, is your sting?"
1 Corinthians 15:50-55

1 comment:

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

that verse gives me chills! :-)
i was praying for those families last night...it's hard enough losing a family member, let alone a child and in such a horrendous way...crazy world...come quickly Lord Jesus!