Monday, November 20, 2006

One Holiday at a Time, Please.

Let’s get through one holiday at a time people! This whole idea of decorating for Christmas before Thanksgiving is really getting under my skin. What is the deal with that? Why is it that as soon as Halloween is over, the stores line their bare shelves with Christmas decorations. I have even seen, yes…it’s true….I have even seen Christmas decorations in stores before (dare I say it) Halloween!! Yes, the horror of it! You want to talk about scary – it’s like the movie “The Nightmare before Christmas” where Halloween meets Christmas. It’s just not fittin’.

Let’s all declare that we’ll take one holiday at a time, and in chronological order:
1st Halloween (October)
2nd Thanksgiving (November)
3rd Christmas (December)
…that’s not so hard, is it?

I’m all for the Christmas season starting the day after Thanksgiving, but not one moment before.

Now I say that knowing that Jermaine won’t tell on me, because he doesn’t partake in the fine art of blogging.. the truth of the matter is that I bought my first Christmas presents this weekend, I prepared the wreaths that will be hung on my house, I bought an animated lawn moose, and I played Christmas music while cleaning house on Saturday (under the guise of it being “Praise and Worship”). BUT, I refuse to decorate until we get past Thanksgiving. I really can’t wait for Christmas, but I’m trying with all my might to restrain from getting sucked into the madness.

It all goes back to sensitization. Each day I see strings of white lights and green garland wrapped poles outside of my office window. When I drive home at night, I see all the outlet stores decorated with lights, Christmas trees, and wreaths, the stores are playing Christmas music, the advertising blitz has begun with toy fliers being sent to the house – it’s all working together to get us to start buying early.

6 comments:

FloridaMom said...

O.K., so you told us your feelings on when Christmas should begin. When do you think Christmas should be offically over? When do the decorations come down?

When all is said and done, when do you start decorting for Valentine's day? Last year, I remember seeing red hearts going up in a department store the 1st of January!

T5M said...

We always took our Christmas decorations down on New Years day.

I think Valentines day should start in February. Call me crazy...

Kristy & John said...

You coming to Philly for Thanksgiving?

MaineMomKC5 said...

Crazy

T5M said...

if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

MaineMomKC5 said...

You told me to call you crazy.