Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Things That Float Around In My Head

Yesterday I almost hit a turkey on my way to work. I literally had to slow down and wait for it to cross the street in front of me, which provided some disturbing insight as to what a "real" turkey looks like. Ewwww! They are ug-ly! ...and slow. Maybe they aren't all slow, but this one was, it seemed to be limping, I am unsure if that's just how turkeys walk or if perhaps this particular one had some sort of medical impairment. In any event, the whole experience made me second guess my Christmas dinner menu.

Last week Avery asked me why I (being white) gave birth to brown kids - how could that happen? I explained that since I'm "Light" and Daddy is "Dark Brown", that we would have "Light Brown" kids. He looked at me seriously, let out a little "huh" and said, "So that's funny; that it matters what the dad is".

Amelle came to work with me on Monday, we had a great time together, she busied herself for four hours by stamping blank pieces of paper "CONFIDENTIAL" and sealing them up in envelopes.

Earlier this week Amelle asked me if Santa's reindeer were going to visit with our reindeer (the deer that live behind our house).

Jermaine gave the kids snowmobile rides in the grass yesterday. The grass that was an obsession this past summer has now been sacraficed to the new obsession.

This morning I woke up, knew I had to get out of the house at 7:30 to get to an off-site meeting at 9am. I got in the shower, got dressed and was ready to go at seven (so I thought). When I looked more closely at my watch, it was actually six o'clock!! AHHHGG!!

Only 4 more days until Christmas - I can't wait!!!!!

10 comments:

Rich and Trish Duggan said...

i think everyone should post like that. snippets of daily life. it's a real insight to those who don't have husband/kids--and it makes those who do chuckle with being able to relate.

Kristy & John said...

I still can't get over the story you told me about Avery's classmate asking him if he was adopted. Kids really do say things as they see it - it's so funny to think of things from a child's perspective - so different from what we see and know as adults.

FloridaMom said...

I think that the turkeys look better than that "thing" on the platter, with hair all over it's body and toes that are longer than Shauns'.

T5M said...

Thanks Trish - I'm quite sure that this blog will provide some entertainment for the children when they get older. ...it's the closest I've got to a diary!

Anonymous said...

so, i guess genetics isn't in avery's future, huh?!
that's crazy what kristy said! i remember thinking the opposite of a friend of mine growing up....she was mexican, i always thought her dad was mexican, because i had never seen him....i was surprised when he turned out to be a tall white-haired english man! :-)

Kristy & John said...

I LOVE your Christmas card!! Such a cute idea! I just got mine yesterday! I think the picture looks good!

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin and Jermaine, Hope everything is going well with you, just wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
dEV

Kristy & John said...

Yeahh!! Dev has joined the blogging world!!

T5M said...

Hey Dev!!!!

It's good to hear from you! Merry Christmas to you and your family!!

-Erin

T5M said...

...another one, at a birthday party once, Avery's classmates mom asked me: "Where's Avery from?" I answered "Glenside", then she was like, "No, I mean where's a frooommm - what country.." Me: "Um, he's from my womb".

In her defense, though, her own daughter was an international adoption, so that's just where she was coming from. I wasn't offended that she thought my son was from Guam..or some other third world country.