Saturday, January 20, 2007

Good God!

I knew that I was going to fail the SPHR exam today. I had no right to take that test, I didn't take the prep class, the assessment exam, or begin to study until less than 24 hours before the test. I didn't want to take the recommended assessment exam because I was so sure that I was going to fail the test (which would mean that my company wouldn't reimburse me for the $375 exam fee), that I didn't want to lose an additional $75 by taking the assessment. Seth was kind enough to lend me his study material (though I think it was missing a book or two). I began my intense studying this morning, and cracked open the 4th book of 5 that he lent me (the 5th never did get opened) in the parking lot of the testing center. While the woman was checking my ID, I was still reading, trying to get a few last minute pieces of information stuffed into my brain.

As I read through the 225 questions I remember thinking that I would have more respect for people with the SPHR designation at the end of their names because the test was obviously too difficult for me to pass (even with multiple degrees in HR). I felt sure that I had positively gotten 3 or 4 (of the 225) correct, the remaining 221 were in shoulder shruggs. I remember reading questions and not knowing what the heck they were talking about - retirement benefits - huh?!

The test was slated for 4 hours, but the Lord put me out of my misery early. 2 1/2 hours later the test was over. I even did the little voluntary survey at the end, in hopes that it would somehow reflect favorably on me during the scoring process.

The exam processed my score....I prayed.....then I read those four little letters...PASS.

Holy crap! I had to hold back the tears - Pass. Yup, it really said it. I was in disbelief. The next word was "Congratulations" which confirmed for me that I really was reading good news. God is so gracious to me. My God is an awesome God (and an amazing test taker). So I'm wondering now if the bible needs to read, "Jesus Christ, SPHR" cause what happened today in Portsmouth NH was divine intervention. There is no question about it.

6 comments:

Kristy said...

No, no no! Don't you get it by now? - you need to start taking credit for those smart brains you got girl! No one else did it for you!

FloridaMom said...

I agree with you, Kristy! Erin has brains and determination. She knows how to apply herself with the talent that God gave to her. She is the one who took the test and passed it. Congratulations Erin!!!!!

The Gawel's said...

You are one of the smartest people I know!! Congrats to you and our God! (The one who gave you your wrinkly brain)

MaineMomKC5 said...

And also agree with Kristy and Floridamom. It's about time you give yourself some credit. I think sometimes we know more than we think we know.

MaineMomKC5 said...

Plus, if you had failed, would you have said your God was dumb?

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

congratulations!! it really is exciting to see how God can work through our lack of preparing...been there, done that! "Jesus, SPHR"...you're too much!