Thursday, January 25, 2007

Stop The Plane!

So tonight I experienced something unusual and I’m on a plane and unable to tell anyone about it (I’m typing in Word to blog later). I need to get it out.

So I’m on my way home from Texas; I had a layover in Ohio. The plane was delayed an hour and fifteen minutes (that’s not the unusual part). We finally get on the plane and are accelerating down the runway for take-off. My eyes close as I prepare to participate in my favorite flight activity: sleep, when I am awoken by someone shouting “Stop the plane!” followed by a “We need help” , “Help”. My eyes open, my first thought: “is there a terrorist onboard?” Then I notice that in the row in front of me there is a man falling into the aisle, I catch a glimpse, his eyes are open, non-responsive, he’s staring into space. I quickly put my head down, I can’t be involved in this. I’m thinking he’s having a heart attack and dying, the plane is still moving forward, but I don’t think we’re off the ground yet, but I’m not 100% sure. The man is now laying in the aisle next to me, I am thinking that I’m going to have to spend the next 2 hours next to a dead guy and the thought is too much for me to take, I pray. My head is bowed, I am pleading with the Lord to rescue this man. The loud speaker calls for a doctor, nurse, EMT, any medical professional – no one comes to aid. People are trying to make due with whatever information they have, “raise his head” someone says, “elevate his feet”. He’s starting to come to….”give him water” “no, don’t give him water” I hear. The plane is still moving, but we haven’t left the ground.

This was such a weird experience. For me, it proved what I had suspected; I cannot be counted on in times of medical emergency. I couldn’t even look at this guy and the one visual I did get of him collapsing with his eyes wide open won’t leave my mind, even though I’ve been trying to erase it for the last 45 minutes since the event took place. I was more than happy to be eyes closed, head bent and talking to my heavenly father.

So the passenger ended up getting off the plane and going in an ambulance. I think he just passed out, I don’t know how or why. I’m rambling now, but I just had another thought: maybe I am good to have around in times of crisis, I mean, the only medical professional onboard was the greatest Healer of all – and He was there because I was asking Him to be. So maybe I couldn’t fetch a pillow or elevate legs, but I prayed, and I am continuing to pray for this man, Jason.

Weird post, I know.

3 comments:

FloridaMom said...

I am of no value when I am in the presence of a medical emergency. I always feel that someone more capable can take the helm. Considering I have been around medical professionals all of my working career, their abilities have not rubbed off on me.

Erin, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

craziness!! i think i probably would have reacted the same way you did...i guess that's one of the reasons why i dropped out of the nursing program! :-)
hopefully the rest of the flight was uneventful!!

T5M said...

...it was. The irony is that I had just spent two days in TX with 10 nurses, 1 nurse practitioner, and a doctor! ...unfortunately not one of them flew home with me!