Monday, January 01, 2007

Time for Reflection

So it’s the first day of the new year. I’m reflecting. I know, I’m supposed to reflect at the end of the previous year, but like with everything else, I’m late. For kicks I scrolled back to my Dec ’05 blog and realized that what I had been suspecting all along was true – my blog sucks. I used to write very thoughtful posts. I used to take pride in writing something worth reading; now I just toss up 3-4 pictures, write a quick caption and hope that three days later I’ll have more time to actually write something decent. Three days later I post a few more pictures and write about whatever had been going on with our family that week (which usually isn’t all that exciting...or even decent, in some cases).

So I don't know what went wrong? I do know that time isn’t really on my side these days. I think I’m almost at the point that I can admit that I’m one of those people who never has time for anything and is always rushing around last minute. I don’t know how that happened because I’m not really “wired” that way. I’m more of a planner by nature. I’ve always been one of those people who arrived places early and then waited in the car so that they didn’t go in “too early”. Now I’m always late and running around wondering what deadline I missed. What happened to me? Darn Jermaine – it’s all his fault – somehow after 10 years together I must’ve merged onto his schedule! I’m kidding, I don’t know what it is.

Anyway, I’m veering off track, time to bring it back to my point – where was I – oh yeah, my sucky blog. So my new years resolution is going to be to try to make at least one decent blog entry a week. …okay, maybe a month. The pressure of trying to come up with something provocative once a week is far more than I can handle.

Here are some of my other resolutions (in no real order):
1) Family eat healthier
2) Put Jesus first (hmm, should I have listed that first?)
3) Spend more QT with the kids
4) Schedule one meeting-less day at work per week (huh! – I can dream!)
5) 1 decent blog per month

The funny thing is that I never make new years resolutions; I've never really believed in doing that. I've long thought it to be a waste of my time to sit and think up all sorts of things that I wanted to do better for the first two weeks of January and then not think about again. In my mind, New Years resolutions only make you feel like a failure. I mean, if I wanted to make some major change, especially for my own self-enhancement, I generally wouldn't hold off until the next January 1st, I'd just do it when I thought of it. This year I’m not only making resolutions, but I’m putting them on the internet, oh boy!

Okay, you've heard mine, now what are some of your resolutions?

16 comments:

FloridaMom said...

It my age, too many New Year's Resolutions have been broken. So, I will call it "a commitment to myself."

1. Stay healthy, which means to keep my doctor appointments and the dreaded dentist appointments.

2. Stop worrying about everything. Ha, that's a joke, since I was born into the "worry about everything family".

3. Spend more time with family. I may even keep this one since Florida will only be a part-time residence.

4. Don't write in Erin's Blog unless I really have something to say. When I do write, proofread it, so I don't look like such a jack___!

5. .....and of course, the one that gets broken every year, LOOSE WEIGHT!

Rich and Trish Duggan said...

thanks for the birthday wishes! i agree with you whole-heartedly about the new year's resolutions. and i think my blogs are just what yours are now...pictures and captions. we are busy people!!

Anonymous said...

I thought that was what we were supposed to do with our blogs, post pics and comment on the tidbits of our life!! Well anyways, I do give you 1st prize for updating your blog most often. Nancy gets 1st prize for having the most educational blog! Boy have I really learned a lot of current events, religious topics and overall information!

As for my resolution, John and I have decided to not argue about things that are out of our control anymore (ie, things that other people do that might make us mad) and take some sort of class like kickboxing together to vent any anger that we may incur. And last but not least, (the obvious at least for me), lose the post-wedding weight!

Good Luck Everybody!

MaineMomKC5 said...

I love loose weight!

Ma Florida already broke her #4 resolution!!

Here's mine:

1) Start trying to be funnier
2) Try and lick my elbow
3) Eat at least one candy bar a day
4) Watch MTV more (educational purposes of course)
5) Continue to load Erin up on "lady products"
6) Shop more
7) Start a Jazzercise franchise
8) Take long walks on the beach with my husband
9) Talk in a huskier voice
10) Try and follow through on all of the above

The Gawel's said...

Here are a few for me:

1. We have a biggest loser competition (weight) with my whole family.The person with the highest % lost for the month will get $20. Everyone puts in $4 a week.

2. Go to the Y at least 3 times a week!

3. Clean out the basement, which means having a yard sale this spring and not bringing any of the "stuff" back in.

4. Try not to be such a clean freak and spend more time with Ashlyn and Aiden.

5. Be nicer to my husband. Why is it you always take out frustrations on the one you love the most?

6. Try for an A in all my classes, but be o.k. if I do get a B.(obsessive compulsive)

7. Finish the upstairs--already 75% complete.

8. Be a better Christian. I have trouble with judging others, gossiping, etc.....Thank God we have a loving and forgiving God!!

p.s. these are in random order #8 should probably be listed 1st.

The Gawel's said...

Here are a few for me:

1. We have a biggest loser competition (weight) with my whole family.The person with the highest % lost for the month will get $20. Everyone puts in $4 a week.

2. Go to the Y at least 3 times a week!

3. Clean out the basement, which means having a yard sale this spring and not bringing any of the "stuff" back in.

4. Try not to be such a clean freak and spend more time with Ashlyn and Aiden.

5. Be nicer to my husband. Why is it you always take out frustrations on the one you love the most?

6. Try for an A in all my classes, but be o.k. if I do get a B.(obsessive compulsive)

7. Finish the upstairs--already 75% complete.

8. Be a better Christian. I have trouble with judging others, gossiping, etc.....Thank God we have a loving and forgiving God!!

p.s. these are in random order #8 should probably be listed 1st.

The Gawel's said...

sorry it looks like it posted twice!

Anonymous said...

Hey Erin - Didn't you, Jermaine and Shaun do the "biggest loser" thing a few months ago? How did that turn out? Just curious...

FloridaMom said...

Thanks for correction my favorite daughter-in-law! It takes practice to remember to proofread!
Oh well, maybe I'll just skip #4!!

T5M said...

Here we go:
Mom: I like your blog comments - even the ones with spellos.
Kristy: I want to prize for most updates AND most educational blog. Damn Nancy, I'm going to have to delete her link! :-)
Trish: Thanks for giving me an excuse for having a sucky blog - but last year I was going to school AND typing up better posts. Hmpf.
Wendy: You have been talking in a huskier voice lately. Very sexy.
Nicky: You make me sick with all your resolutions - you are an overachiever!! Plus - you can't lose any more weight, you'll disappear!
Kristy: It turns out that we're all big losers - a bunch of big fat losers who can't stick to a diet.
Mom: I love you.

All: Thanks for nothing! Not one of you reassured me that my blog wasn't sucky! Well shame on you all for continuing to read suck smut!

Hee hee...I love you guys! :-)

Happy New Year!

T5M said...

LOL ...I meant "such smut" - hee hee...

I never proofread until AFTER I post. Like mother, like daughter.

FloridaMom said...

Wendy, I hope you didn't make blogging on your wed site a New Year's Resolution.

Nothing posted since December 26th.

You must be too busy licking your elbow, watching MTV and starting your Jazzercise franchise!

Anonymous said...

Erin, do you even know what "smut" is? Dirty...

Anonymous said...

I also give you 1st prize for receiving the most comments on one blog entry! You go girl!

Anonymous said...

i STILL enjoy your blog erin! seriously...i think you're one of the funniest people i know! i really enjoy the comments that your kids make too...keep 'em coming!
loose weight...that CRACKED me up! :-)

barbarakuhn said...

I'm just catching up on your blogs (and family comments)which, by the way, I love. I have no resolutions. My husband thinks I'm perfect. He really needs to quit that drinkin'. My blog is the most boring, but I take credit for Nancy's being the best. I am, afterall, the one who gave her birth. She does prove that there is a God. Do you think my husband & I could have created something so beautiful, sensitive & creative?
Have a good year, Erin
Barbara