Thursday, February 22, 2007

I would’ve been PO’ed, if it wasn’t for the Lord..


A month or so ago I asked for your prayers for our spiritual walk. Since that time, the Lord has made some amazing appearances in our lives. It’s such an awesome feeling when the Creator of the universe touches your life in such a special and unique way, just to let you know that He’s still got you. You haven’t fallen off of his radar; even if He hasn’t been the star of your show, you’re still the star of His. Even when you haven’t been faithful to Him, He’s still there, faithful to you, constant, unwavering and unchanging. Our God is awesome!

A few weeks ago I had encouraged Jermaine to unplug the Sirius for a week and to go back to listening to Pastor Joe. I knew that even if the initial steps weren’t “from the heart”, God would honor the effort, I had seen that in my own life. Jermaine doesn’t often listen to me, but for whatever reason (prayer?), he began listening to Pastor Joe. While on his way to drop off the kids he was behind a pick up truck that was sputtering along. It slowed down and eventually had to pull over. Compelled, because he had been listening to Pastor Joe, he felt that he should ask this person if they needed help. With no regard for who this stranger was, or the fact that our children were in the car, Jermaine pulled alongside the truck, rolled his window down and offered the man a ride. The man gladly accepted. Jermaine left Pastor Joe on, figuring that if nothing else, the man would hear the Word of God that morning. As it turns out, the man was a pastor who was on his way to a ministry event. He told Jermaine that as his truck sputtered, he prayed to God not to leave him stranded there.

Jermaine was so uplifted by this event, I could practically see his smile through the phone as he was telling me the story. I would’ve been totally PO’ed about him picking up a stranger with the kids in the car if it wasn’t for the fact that he was acting as an instrument of the Lord. He felt so blessed by the very personal way that God had reached out to him. Even the series of events that had to occur in order for Jermaine to have been behind this pastor on this particular morning was extraordinary. It just so happened that Jermaine was up and out the door early that morning (a minor miracle itself). The reason he was up early that morning was because he was ill the day before and had spent most of the day in bed. The reason he was sick was because I was sick the day before that, and Amelle before that. That little stomach virus was part of God’s plan to bless Jermaine and answer that pastor’s prayer not to be stranded on the side of the road. Amazing.

Within a day or two of that event a different pastor (of a church that we have attended, but don’t regularly attend) called Jermaine out of the blue and asked him to do a one on one bible study with him weekly. Jermaine gladly accepted this invite and they have started a study together.

Our God is so amazing. Thank you for your prayers.

8 comments:

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

wow! i got chills reading :-) the pastor at the new church that we've been going to just preaching on the "Good Samaritan" last week...it's encouraging to hear real-life stories of how the Lord works through the lives of others. thanks so much for sharing! keep us posted on how the Bible study and stuff go...miss you guys!!!

barbarakuhn said...

Chills here,too. My story, I struggle with worry, children, husband dying, finances, future, what do people think of me, my weight, you name it. While I was sick this past Sunday I started a new devotional, "Think on these Things" it was on Matthew 6:27 "And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life?
I love when the Lord does that & when I'm actually listening.

Rich and Trish Duggan said...

wow...that's awesome!! thanks for sharing that.

The Gawel's said...

Great story!! I also struggle with worry. I think it is built into a woman in general and then it doubles when you have children! Because now you are responsible for someone else's well-being.

T5M said...

As a funny follow-up, if those events weren't enough, God sent the Jehovah's Witnessess to our house this last weekend. For those of you who know Jermaine, you're probably laughing because NOTHING gets Jermaine more fired up about the Lord than the JWs. He spent several hours witnessing to them this past weekend. It's on!

The Gawel's said...

I remember when they would visit. Jermaine would debate for hours--I only wish I was a fly on the wall!

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

remember that time the JW's came to your place and seth's mom was in the living room singing and quoting scripture, loudly?! ah...good times!

Deere John said...

I just heard that they found the body of Jesus on the Titanic...eeeerr maybe I heard that he was in the movie the Terminator...