Friday, March 09, 2007

Coldplay

Okay, so this is the 2nd time I've broken my vow not to blog about the weather (maybe the third, but who’s counting?). This week has been FREEEEZZING! I will try to give this blog a point, instead of just ranting about how my teeth ache when I walk outside, or about the anxiety I feel, knowing that in 30 minutes I am going to have to turn the corner onto Temple Street and get socked by hurricane force winds emanating off of the Atlantic.

Oh and now I live with the heat-miser, more like the heat nazi, “No heat for you!”. Last night I dare put the heat up to 64 in our bedroom and the Heat-miser came in and practically suffered a heat stroke. “I can’t breathe”, “I wake up at night sweating”, he complained.

So maybe he’s officially a “Mainer” and I am not. I still fear the cold; Mainers bask in it. They don’t complain about snow, they pray for it. (I literally received an e-mail from a co-worker whom I had never met, signed “Praying for snow, then his name”.) Mainers dig weather, all types of weather – and they have the gear for it (have you ever browsed an LL Bean catalog?). Even this week with temperatures at -2, I saw people biking (yes, cycling) to work in the morning. Sure they were bundled up, but I was driving to work in a 80 m.p.h. sauna all week; the heat was blasting at 90 degrees for an hour, I just need to install cedar wood on the interior and put a few eucalyptus springs in the passenger seat and I’m set! I digress.

Anyway, it’s like someone forgot to tell Mainers that cold weather stinks. Shaun and Jermaine took the kids out snowmobiling in zero degree weather and no one even seemed to realize that it was cold. Ice fishing (aka beer drinking on ice) is popular here, people set up little huts in the middle of a frozen lake and drill a hole in the ice and then just sit their for hours waiting for a buzz, er, I mean bite. Another time, the boys took the kids snowmobiling on a lake in NH where there were planes landing and people’s cars parked – people were barbequing and having a party out there on a frozen lake in the middle of February!

Also, shorts never seem to go out of season for Mainers. Yes, Mainers wear shorts in below freezing temperatures. I’ve seen it on numerous occasions with my own two eyes. This isn’t an urban legend, this is for real. We had to laugh last month when we picked up Sylvia and Ariel at the airport. They looked like two little Eskimos all bundled up to their eyeballs with fur around their hoods, but that’s what I call sensible, temperature-appropriate attire. Shorts at 20 degrees is wrong.

12 comments:

Deere John said...

Congrats..you moved from Sweats to Shorts! By the way I wouldn't stand for a 64 degree bedroom. We do 62.

Deere John said...

a perspective from Maine....

60 above zero: Arizonians turn on the heat. People in Maine plant gardens.

50 above zero: Californians shiver uncontrollably. People in Maine sunbathe.

40 above zero: Italian & English cars won't start. People in Maine drive with the windows down.

32 above zero: Distilled water freezes. The water in Maine gets thicker.

20 above zero: Floridians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, wool hats. People in Maine throw on a flannel shirt.

15 above zero: New York landlords finally turn up the heat. People in Maine have the last cookout before it gets cold. Zero: People in Miami all die. Mainers close the windows.

10 below zero: Californians fly away to Mexico. People in Maine get out their winter coats.

25 below zero: Hollywood disintegrates. The Girl Scouts in Maine are selling cookies door to door.

40 below zero: Washington DC runs out of hot air. People in Maine let the dogs sleep indoors.

100 below zero: Santa Claus abandons the North Pole. Mainers get upset because they can't start the Mini-Van.

460 below zero: ALL atomic motion stops (absolute zero on the Kelvin scale.) People in Maine start saying..."Cold 'nuff fer ya?" 500 below zero: Hell freezes over. Maine public schools will open 2 hours late.

Dev said...

Hey Erin, Just wanted to let you know I am going to be a grandmother again, Kelly is pregnant, due in October. TTYL.
Dev

T5M said...

Hey Dev,
Congratulations!!! Let's get a boy this time!!!
-Erin

T5M said...

Shaun...
LOL!!!!!!

You didn't tell me this when you trying to get us to move here!!!

Deere John said...

Don't worry-the cold will be gone soon and then it will be the rainy season for 3 months.

Kristy said...

So I guess the middle of July is a warm time to visit?!?

FloridaMom said...

This is such a good blog you should sent it to Readers Digest. I but it will get published!

T5M said...

..spoken like a true mother!

I'm glad you enjoyed,Mumsy.

T5M said...

Monday Update:
Today it was a beautiful 34 degrees on my way in to Portland at 8am. I passed a man with shorts on (and workboots) and another standing outside with short sleeves on. I'm afraid these people are going to be naked by June!

FloridaMom said...

Really, send it to Reader's Digest! Can't hurt???????

T5M said...

Okay mom, you want me to send everything I write to Readers Digest, remember my school papers? ..now blog enties? ..next you'll want me to send them my grocery list!

You're so cute, I hope I see the beauty in all my children create as you do! Heartwarming! :-)