Friday, March 02, 2007

Observations From the Field

I’m totally not in the mood to blog, but since I didn’t get a chance to update this week, I feel I must post something. This is a warning, cause I don’t know what’s going to spill out of the old bag of noodles tonight…

This week I was driving behind a vehicle that had the bumper sticker, “Got Pot?” ..it was a play on the “Got Milk” thing. I had to wonder what kind of idiot would advertise the fact that he is a pothead on his bumper sticker. I mean, why not just have a sign on your car that says, “Police, stop me, there is a chance that I’m either high, or have the illegal substance in my car”. One might even argue that the bumper sticker in and of itself is reasonable cause to search a vehicle. Anyway, I had to speed up and pass him, just to see what the idiot looked like. As suspected, a rather dopey looking fellow, driving along with his jaw hanging loosely, causing his mouth to be far more ajar than necessary or normal. The whole scene could’ve been an anti drug commercial.

my last google search for an image depicting the “Hand of God” lead me to the artwork in my below post. I actually like that piece a lot. I like it like I would pay money for it and hang it in my house. I like it like I e-mailed the artist to find out if it was for sale. I was disappointed to find out that the artist is not Christian, and in fact the piece is called “hand of a god”. I am not convinced I should care, because I’m thinking that what is important is not necessarily the artist’s view, but my own feelings when I look at the piece. Nonetheless, I found myself searching for some “Christian art”, because surely if a non-believer could depict the hand of God in such a moving way, a Christian could really work some magic on the canvas. Well, my search for Christian art left me utterly disappointed. I’m sure Thomas Kinkade appeals to some people, but give me a break, you’d think he’s the only Christian that God gave talent to. His art doesn’t appeal to me in the least. I think I might actually hate it. It’s so grandma. Where are the cool, talented Christians and where is their art? So Oh, the picture to the left, yes, I had to post it, I came across it while I was on my quest. Scary! So this is a plea, if you come across a Christian artist that has some neat stuff that doesn’t include scripture, guesses of what Jesus looks like, or freaky looking people, please let me know.

I’m in a negative space right now. Probably by the time you’re reading this I’ll be normal, but right now I have to admit, I’m feeling a bit disgruntled. You might be sensing this.

Okay, how about this. Why do men’s pants come in actual waist and length measurements and women’s pants come in “sizes”. It’s not right. Let’s unite and start a movement! I want the inseam listed on the tag! What’s worse is that women have to have several different lengths of pants depending on the shoe. I have jeans that I can wear with sneakers and jeans that I have to wear with heels. Men, they’re so simple, all they have to do is pick out the waist size and inseam size (38 x 34), and it’s a perfect fit every time. Just ridiculous.

8 comments:

MaineMomKC5 said...

Man, you're a grump! Hee hee...

Why is that person a "non-believer" because they wrote "the hand of a God?" It would seem to me that they are a believer of some sort. I like the fact that it can cover any belief and not just Christianity.

I hear you on the pants/clothing issue. It's also maddening how the dry cleaners charge more money for womens clothing than mens. I mean, my clothes are far smaller than Shaun's and yet I pay more!

FloridaMom said...

Just for the record, I'm not that fond of Thomas Kinkade. Personally, I think that he is too thirty-ish for me!

I did, however, agree with you on the "Hand of God". It is a moving piece of art!

The "Pot Guy" is a dope!

Girls and ladies pants should come in all lenghts. I'm not that concerned about the waist, since I've lost mind to menopause!

T5M said...

Wen - Yes, true, everyone believes in something, some unicorns, some believe there is no God, some believe in many gods, some believe that we evolved from monkeys, some just make up their own religions. In Christian circles, "non-believers" are those who don't believe that Christ is God - I know you don't run in Christian circles, so I wouldn't expect you to know that. Now you know. It may actually be a misnomer, but whatever, it's shorter than saying that he is "a person that doesn't believe in a God, but apparently many".

Mom-
The funny thing about Thomas Kincade art is that you can get a picture of a little cottage out in the woods on practically anything, from a quilt to a t-shirt to a mug, Thomas Kincade is available on anything! You know you're old and Christian when you wear a article of Thomas Kincade clothing.

Sorry for being so gumpy, I'm better tonight. Feeling really happy about the house tonight (despite the paperplate still being hung on my living room wall).

T5M said...

Okay, I just re-read my post.

Does anyone besides me think that that crazy woman looks like a vampire? I'm glad she loves the Lord (is a "believer"), but she scares the heck out of me.

MaineMomKC5 said...

She should become a Unicornicopian like me. Now that's a religion!

So I guess I can label you a "non-believer" eh?

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

i think i'm gonna have nightmares about that crazy picture!!! yikes!

T5M said...

Wen - yes, I would be very proud to be called a "non-believer" by you and the other unicornicopians (assuming there are some that reside outside of your imagination).

MaineMomKC5 said...

Yeah well you're a ...a...

DINKL!