Thursday, May 24, 2007

Relatively Speaking

I think that it's so cool that our kids have so many more relatives than I did growing up. My family tree is pretty sparce - sort of like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree. Growing up, I only had one grandparent, the others passed away young (sparce tree & bad DNA = not a good combo). In addition to the light grandparent pool I also had no aunts or uncles, so basically, everyone in my family lived in my house (all five of us - including grandma, aka: Memere).

Jerm's family, on the other hand, is loaded up with relatives. Tons of family! His mom has 8 siblings and his dad has 5. In addition to all the aunts and uncles and cousins, our kids have two full sets of grandparents (thanks to papa Gordo for stepping in for my dad!) AND one full set of great grandparents!

This past weekend they were able to spend time with their doting Grandmom who spent every waking moment catering to them and giving them everything they wanted. No bed time, ice cream for breakfast, any thing they wanted! It's taken us until today (Thursday) just to de-program them (Amaya is still not right).


We also stopped by to see their great grandparents (Nan & Pop Pop). Amaya had no problem warming up to Pop Pop. Throughout his 76 years, Pop's lap has been safety to countless children and grandchildren - he loves kids and they love him...

5 comments:

Florida/MaineMom said...

I love the "big family" too. Obviously, like you, growing up with not much family was sometimes lonely. When a child is born so is a grandparent!

MaineMomKC5 said...

I have such beautiful nieces and a handsome nephew!

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

great pictures! who's dad is that?
coming from a small family as well we had some extra "aunts" (good friends of the family that weren't genetically related to us)...took me a while to figure it out! it's always nice to have friends that fill in the gaps.

Kristy & John said...

18 immediate cousins right here, 9 sets of aunts & uncles (blood related), then there are all the "great" aunts & uncles & second cousins that we are very close to. I only grew up having a brother, so my mission is to have at least 4 kids so that my children can have that large family bond!

T5M said...

Nance - Jermaine's dad's dad.