Monday, July 02, 2007

I’m My Own Worst Enemy

Okay, so funny story. You may’ve noticed that I had set up the blog as “invite only” yesterday. Here’s the skinny…

So I check the sitemeter regularly to ensure that I don’t have a blog stalker. It’s a safety precaution; I just want to make sure that everything’s on the up and up. And for the most part, the people who visit make sense. They’re friends, acquaintances, or people that link over from one of my friends blogs. No one spends a crazy amount of time on the blog, people just sort of checking in and stuff – the normal.

So a few weeks ago I started noticing a Los Angeles person checking. It was someone from Loyola Law School. The problem is, I don’t know anyone in CA and they came directly to my blog, they weren’t linking in from a friend, or even googling something weird that I’d blogged about. They were coming right to me and sometimes they’d stay for a while. They were clicking on my pictures and once, they even had the audacity to click on my sitemeter! I started double-checking the locks on the windows at night as I thought of the Loyola Law School Slayer coming to Maine to get me for my conservative views and my outspoken passion for sandcastles, woobies, and Jesus.

I couldn’t talk to Jerms about it as he has no compassion for my blog paranoia. “Send out a newsletter if you don’t want people you don’t know to read it”, he’d quip. “It’s not that”, I’d explain, “Loyola checks too often, and he (I had assigned a gender to it) spends too much time on (some visits were over 25 minutes long!), plus I’m not entertaining enough for people who don’t know me to read”.

Nancy gave me the great idea to set my site up as sign-in only, which I did. So this morning, from work, I checked in to see if I could log in and see the blog. I then curiously clicked on the site meter to see who else had accepted the exclusive invite and logged on. To my surprise, Loyola Law School was on again! To my even bigger surprise, Loyola Law School was me! Don’t ask me how, don’t ask me why. Apparently my network at work somehow links to LA, and the reason why Loyola spends so much time on is because I’d check the blog and then get busy doing something else and then end up closing out of the internet 25 minutes later.

I can only laugh at myself.

13 comments:

The Gawel's said...

That is so funny! It is amazing how are brains work.

Kristy & John said...

That's great! And you thought I had a problem with my sitemeter! The sitemeter can actually be an addictive thing. I had to remove it from my blog for awhile because it was frustrating to not know who was checking! Now I just use it to see who the "thieves of the night" are! :-)

(The ones who read and don't leave comments!)

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

so...you've been stalk yourself then? that is too funny!! :-) glad you solved the great mystery!

MaineMomKC5 said...

Good Job Nancy Drew!

C.Moore said...

I'm glad that I now have the correct website. I've been checking www.the5moores.com for about a year and I was wondering why it didn't exist anymore. I thought you were taking a break from your blog but I can see that you are on top of it as usual. I have alot to catch up on.

T5M said...

...see, one good thing DID come out of this whole thing - I found my long lost cousin!!!!!

Welcome back Chris!!! When are you and Jaylen coming to Maine?!?!?

C.Moore said...

We would like to come up there by the end of the summer. I'm not sure if I can handle the cold. When does it start getting cold up there, like September?

Denise said...

that's hysterical!

T5M said...

...it starts getting cold in late July - you should come quickly!!

:-)

...it actually depends on how you define cold...I define it in terms of Jermaine's woobie:

No woobie: Hot, Warm or just right (June, July, August, Sept)
Woobie: Chilly to Cold (March, April, May, Oct, Nov, Dec)
Woobie plus a jacket: Jan - Feb

Florida/MaineMom said...

Luckily you solve the problem. I wasn't able to log in for the past few days. You know, anything unusual and I am lost!

Texas Kelly said...

T5M, I'm not family or technically a friend, but I'm not a stalker, I promise!! I accidentally found your blog one day last winter while I was searching for another friends new site. Well, I was just captivated by your funny stories, the cute kids and your seemingly strong christian marriage! I read your blog all the time now and pray that I'll have a family just like yours some day :) If you don't mind me living vicariously through you, keep the hilarious stories coming! Or, if you'd rather only family saw this site let me know and I won't intrude anymore :) - Kelly from Texas

T5M said...

Welcome Texas Kelly!

barbarakuhn said...

Pretty funny