Saturday, August 25, 2007

"She's cute but she's full of evil"

It's fun to see each of the kids developing into their own people. What's even funnier is that their personalities are so different from one another. Some of it is parenting, I'll admit that - but largely, I think that personalities come with the child, as inherent as eye color.

Number 3 has got a LOT of personality. Not that #1 & #2 don't, but there's a little more "fire" in #3. Maybe it's the parenting piece, let's face it, Dirt and I aren't the parents we used to be. We're old, we're tired. Plus, because each of the kids are so different, we can't readily adopt the parenting techniques that we used on #1 & #2, and I don't know if we've taken the time to develop a plan for #3 ...we might just be going with the flow on this one. Warning: this technique is not recommended.

Amaya has an affinity for closing doors (which she can't open) and knocking on them until someone opens it for her. Then she proceeds to close it again, giggling and knocking. I'm never in the mood to play this game, but last week I was trying to get ready, and really didn't have time to play. After the second time of opening the door, I stuck a sock by the hinge so she couldn't shut it and then I proceeded to get ready. A minute later, Amaya appeared in front of me with the sock in her hand. Before I had a chance to digest what was happening, she threw the sock at me while proclaiming, "No!". Then she turned around and headed back to her business with the door. I was stunned; Dirt and I looked at each other with our jaws dropped open....and after a moment, we began laughing....hard.

The problem is that I don't know what kind of trouble this is going to get us in. The older two are fairly well behaved, but if memory serves me correctly, there was a lot of due diligence that went in on our part as parents to make sure that happened. I don't see the same type of effort happening with #3.


There is a part of me that worries that this is how mass murderers get started: a sock in the face of their mother at 21 months, by 21 years she'll be wanted in all 50 states and dubbed, "TheTube Sock Strangler".

So the title of the blog, that was Avery's assessment....in a lot of ways, it's dead on. But then again, we all fall into this category, which is where Jesus comes in to play. At the end of the day, I try to remind myself that the kid's belong to Him and if I've missed something, I know that He'll fix it down the road. That's not to say that I'm going to give up, I won't, I can't. As old and tired as I am, I still have enough energy in me to dole out a spanking for disobeient or disrespectful behavior. Fortunately, the older kids don't know that I'm weary, they still remember the young me, the one that would syc midevil on their buttocks.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

guess it's time to dust off the trusty 'ol strong-willed child :0)

T5M said...

Yeah, that's a classic. I should dust it off - it would probably inspire me.

...or "Parenting Isn't For Wimps" - I think that's another Dobson book.

Florida/MaineMom said...

Those pictures are precious. Especially the one with Amaya eating a bagel. She already looks like she is wanted by the FBI!

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

it cracks me up when she does the "cheese" face :-D