Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Mustard Matters

So on Sunday, the pastor preached about the parable of the mustard seed, you know the one, where Jesus says that the kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed (a teeny tiny seed that grows into a huge tree)

Mustard is clearly a biblical principle. Take this passage, where Jesus says that if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you can move mountains. (Mustard seed = very small, Mountain = very big) - that faith is some potent stuff!

Anyway, last night, it came to our attention that we are the keepers of 11 (Eleven) "units" of mustard. The breakdown is this:

Cabinet (all unopened):
3 Yellow
2 Spicey Brown*
1 Horseradish Brown
1 Dijon

Refrigerator:
1 Yellow
2 Spicey Brown*
1 Dijon

*Note: no one in our 5-person family unit eats Spicey Brown mustard.

So I had to chuckle a little bit because this sort of paints an ironic picture of our faith. All we need is the tiny pure seed of faith, yet all we have is bottles and bottles of the commercial stuff. God is so simple, I love Him for that.

7 comments:

KC5 said...

looking forward to mustard colored poop.

T5M said...

As well you should be, there will be much of it!

What do you think of "Spicey Brown" as a new nickname for Jermaine. We were throwing that around the other night.

Can you seriously believe that I own 11 bottles of mustard? Does anyone else find that amazing and wrong?

KC5 said...

I don't like Spicey Brown-I had a hooker once named Spicey Brown...rrrr I mean I saw a hooker on tv named Spicey Brown. As far as mustard goes, you can't have enough living in Maine. Its one of the 3 staples you see people waiting in line for in case "THE BIG ONE"(snow storm)hits. When the storms are predicted long lines form at grocery stores for water, milk and mustard. If we run out we will come to your house. AND oh ... Until I see you respond to one of posts on my blog I am officially boycotting T5M...visit www.thecasey5.com

MOM said...

Don't have to worry about the t5m's, kc5! They have enough food stored in their kitchen cabinets to last through the whole winter! I think that Erin is a secret chef in her spare time.....along with mustard, there is every kind of rice you can imagine.

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

spicy brown...that's too funny! i don't find it wrong that you have that much mustard...you did live in philly for quite a while, you need something to go with your pretzels :-D

T5M said...

Shaun - you have too many websites! The last post I see is "I Like Egg Salad" - and I believe I did comment on that.

I have links to your tumbler and your blogspot - what next!?!?

Okay, I'll try the other one - but no more blogs!

Mom - all that food and no one to cook it! I think I was secretly hoping that if I put enough things in the cabinets then one day I would magically open them and find a fully cooked meal in there. (hasn't happened yet, except for when you babysit, but the food magically appears in the refrigerator)

MaineMomKC5 said...

Personally I like Honey Brown, but that's a beer. I can't drink beer right now 'cuz I got a bun in da oven!