Saturday, September 29, 2007

What's The Point?

So this week some of my friends at work decided that it was time for them to take control of their weight and join Weight Watchers. I was jealous that they were going to venture out on an extracurricular activity without me, so I begrudgingly decided to join them.

Weight Schmeight. This is my perspective: "Yeah, I'd like to be thinner, but I really do enjoy food." At our first meeting I learned that it was actually the woman who founded Weight Watchers that coined the phrase, "Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels". This statement is proof that this woman has never had cheesecake topped with strawberries with chocolate drizzled on it. I have to admit that it's been a long time since I "felt thin", so maybe my perspective is off.

So we all weighed in on Wednesday morning. My two friends were amped up - I think Audra even did a fist pump when she arrived. I was less thrilled; I felt like I was awaiting the death sentence. No more ice cream, no more pizza, no more brownies, no more fun. Okay, you CAN have fun on Weight Watchers, I'm sure. I think you can actually have the other things too, but they would use up all your points and then you wouldn't be able to have anything else. So here's how it works: if you got 20 points for the day, and a 2" square brownie is 5 points and 1 c of ice cream is 8 points and a single slice of pizza is 5 points (and let's face it, I'm gonna have at least 2 slices, so that's 10 points). Oops I'm over.

I guess the point (no pun intended) is that you are suppose to change your eating habits and maybe just have one of those things every once in a while. This change will result in loose pants and an overall sense of well being. We'll see.

Our weigh in day is going to be Thursday, I'll let you know how it goes...until then I'll just keep asking "what's the point?"

13 comments:

MOM said...

Weight Watches also offers several food choices made by Weight watches. I have to admit that the chocolate drink was really good and filling. I even gave it to Gordon in the morning and he loved it.

The Weight Watches english muffins are excellent and only one point. So, your pizza will have to be made on them.

Good luck to you and your co-workers.

The Gawel's said...

You might just inspire me to go back. I did really well on the program, the trick is to keep going to the meetings!Good luck!

T5M said...

Yeah Nicky - you did awesome! How much did you lose the first week?

T5M said...

Nicky - let me know if you go on it, we can comiserate together!

Kristy & John said...

Hey There - I think I am going to join - Nicky, are there meetings close that you and I could maybe go to together? I think it is easier if you have a buddy that motivates you. Kind of like when we used to go to the gym together Erin!! Ahhh, the good 'ole days!

The Gawel's said...

So- I started back on Tues. night, thanks Erin for the motivation. I didn't weigh as much as I thought which is a good thing.

Kristy- I would love to start going with you. The leader last night at Upper Dublin was not that good, so I will try another class. What nights are good for you? Let me know. We can either go to Glenside or Upper Dublin, I will have to see if they have meetings anywhere else as well.

Good Luck!!!

T5M said...

Awwwww....you guys are making me home sick! :-( I wish I could go with you two!

Our leader stunk too, we're hoping he's not there tomorrow...

barbarakuhn said...

Did you notice someone that didn't post on this blog?? Ask her about her Grandma Kuhn, she was a life member. She once lost over 100 lbs. I tried South Beach, it worked, if I'd just get out there & walk!!!! Nanny Babs

T5M said...

I lost 4 pounds my first week.

The Gawel's said...

WOW!!! Good job. Have you ever felt what 4 pounds feels like? Go to the store and lift some sugar bags! Go you!

T5M said...

Awwww...that makes me feel better Nicky - I was feeling kind of bad about only losing 4, my friends lost 5+ and 7 ...and I stuck to the plan (and didn't dig into my bonus points). Thanks for putting the 4 pounds into perspective for me!

How did you do?

The Gawel's said...

I didn't weigh in yet. I will let you know. Also, it is better to lose slowly, it stays off better. I think you are supposed to lose @ 2 pounds a week and you doubled that #! Go you!

The Gawel's said...

I went last night to WW, and I lost 2.8! The leader was also great---Thank the Lord.