Wednesday, October 31, 2007

What's Wrong with this Picture?



Nothing. Absolutely nothing. I love my brothers and sisters in Christ, but one of my peeves is how Christians can sometimes get carried away with things. One popular perspective is that Christian's shouldn't celebrate Halloween. I don't get it. How three children dressed as a police officer, Dorothy, and a duck (and one dog dressed as a pirate) can be perceived as "anti-Christian" is beyond my scope of understanding. Granted, we wouldn't allow our kids to "glorify the enemy" by dressing up as devils and witches, just as we wouldn't want them to dress up as Hitler....it's just not in line with our family values.

Anyway, when I first became a Christian, I researched Halloween because I wanted to preserve this fun tradition in our family, but I didn't want to do so if it was not right in the sight of God. I ran across the book "Redeeming Halloween" by Kim Weir & Pam McCune (published by Focus on the Family). This book "set me free" from the shame of celebrating Halloween and made me appreciate the holiday's true Christian roots and how it's a beautiful rememberance of those martyred for the cause of Christ.

According to Weir and McCune (2004), "..the Christian church reserved the day before the religious festival as a sacred time. October 31 was then set aside as an evening of preparation called "All Hallow'een", or "the eve of the holy ones". Together, they created a meaningful time for the church to remember the early martyrs." (p.15)

My perspective is that I don't want our kids to feel like their faith is against "having fun" (which is what dressing up and getting candy is perceived as by children), I want them to experience the freedom and joy of living a life in Christ!

Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

i'm always torn when it comes to halloween! i loved dressing up and stuff as a kid....great memories. some people get carried away with the scary stuff though....
those costumes are great! so funny that hunter even got in on it. unfortunately, winchester's not much for dressing up.
did you guys have many trick o' treaters? we had all of three! i'm pretty sure chester scared the crap outta two of them!! guess he wasn't too fond on having a skeleton standing on our front stoop!!
ps-HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMAYA!!! :-)

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

saw your comment...i believe david danced in the buff too! ;-)

MaineMomKC5 said...

That's the silliest thing I've ever heard! I didn't know witches were the "enemy?" You Christians are a strange bunch for sure!

KC5 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
T5M said...

Wen - witches worship satan, he's the enemy. However, apparently your husband does too...

KC5 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MaineMomKC5 said...

I just don't understand how you can compare Hitler to witches (and I'd like more proof that witches worship Hitler - sounds like Christian hogwash if you ask me).

Actually, my husband is the devil and I love him.

MaineMomKC5 said...

I just found this off a Google search:

WITCHES DO NOT WORSHIP SATAN! Generally those who practice the Craft are not Christian. Our religion does not recognize, nor lend credence to an all powerful evil being. In order to believe in "sin", "heaven", "hell" or "Satan", one would first have to recognize the Christian pantheon.

However, I'm sure I could find a web site somewhere that says they do. Same as you finding a web site somewhere that says Christians shouldn't participate in Halloween. I'm just glad you read the book you did!

KC5 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
T5M said...

You guys kill me - what's wrong with investigating the origins of a holiday? You'll pull anything done in the name of Christianity apart, just for the sake of doing so.

If you want to sit down and talk about why I/we do the things we do, or why I wouldn't let my kids dress up as witches, then just ask me. However, it is apparent that you'd rather get your information from whatever pops up in your google search than ask me. The pisser is that you will take anyone's word over mine, so I suppose it doesn't matter what I say, because you will just argue the opposing side.

Dirt and I would LOVE to sit down and talk religion with you, just name a time and place. It'll save you from all your online research ("Debunking Christianity", etc..).

I morn for your souls.