Saturday, November 03, 2007

Trade Offs

Sadly, I sometimes find myself putting work at the top of my priority list. This can sometimes mean that the kids take a backseat to whatever I have going on at work. Today I decided to turn the tables a bit. I woke up not realizing that the kids had a half day, so when I got to work, I had to shuffle my schedule around so that I could pick them up at noon (I'm sure that I was the only mom in the carpool lane on a conference call and sending e-mails). When we got home, I got right to work while the kids went about their business. However in the middle of a recruiting meeting it dawned on me that I should be enjoying this beautiful fall day with the kids. I quickly rounded them up, hopped on my last conference call for the day while we headed to Fort Foster (my call was on mute and the kids were "in quiet mode" as we drove to Kittery). When we got to Fort Foster I hopped off the call and we ventured in.

As soon as we were past the gates, the kids were off - Avery peddeling and Amelle running. Within 60 seconds I heard a "WAHHOOOO" from one of the kids, this was confirmation that I was right where I needed to be. This time, work could wait.

We spent two hours walking through trails, playing on the playground, exploring, riding bikes on the beach, and yes - IN THE WATER. No, it's not warm - you'll notice that Avery has a vest on. What can I say, it just happened. They got closer and closer and then they finally went in. I didn't stop them, I didn't even try to. This was their day.


This picture sort of shows how "it started" - Avery would get closer and closer to the water with Amelle trailing behind, until finally, the bike was stuck and both kids were in the water trying to drag it out. Completely on purpose, of course.


Here they are balancing on a HUGE fallen tree. Amazingly, they regained balance and didn't fall..


Such a cool view from the top of the slide...
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

The Gawel's said...

Looks like a great day!

The Gawel's said...

By the way are you having trouble with picasa? It says I have to be hooked up to the internet, and I am. I've been trying to post halloween pic. but can't. Do you have any ideas?

T5M said...

hm...not sure. I think somehow I ended up with Picassa 2 - but that has a weird glitch to. However, I am able to post, so I'm not sure what's going on with yours. Sorry!

KC5 said...

worked ok for me.

MOM said...

Glad you took the time with the kids. You will remember that a lot longer than any conference call.....and they will too!

Kristy & John said...

Well, I just traded off my job for my sanity, I will talk to you about it soon - next time we chat. I figured that with this much stress and travelling I will never get pregnant, so I am doing part-time HR consulting from home. No more free coffee and candy :-(

But, I do have my less stressed life back!!!