Saturday, December 08, 2007

Mark this day!

Today is a special day for me because I finished writing my book. I just finished the last chapter, just a few minutes ago! I'm so excited, this has been a life goal ever since I can remember. I haven't told many people, but in August I began writing a children's book. It was all really a ploy to get Avery to read something, I figured that if I wrote a book for him, he'd be obligated to read it. So as of this minute, it's done (except for the tons of editing and revising that I will need to do). 98 pages (my goal was 100). Here's a sneak peek from chapter 2. If you know Avery, you may recognize that there are some parallels between him and the main character of my book, Pilot. (I apologize in advance that the formatting is all off)

“Let’s make a deal, you can go grocery shopping with your mom and pick out one green thing every week that you’ll at least try to eat”, said Dr. Todd as he held out his hand, looking for a handshake. All because Pilot’s mom had snitched on him and told Dr. Todd that her son refused to eat vegetables.

“He’ll eat lettuce, but only if it’s in a sub or a taco” his mom said, shaking her head. “I’ve tried everything, I just don’t know what to do” she shrugged her shoulders and then tucked the strands of blonde hair that had fallen out of her ponytail, back behind her ears.

“Have you tried explaining to him that if he doesn’t eat vegetables, then his insides won’t be healthy?” Dr. Todd asked Pilot’s mom who was frowning. The two of them were carrying on a conversation about him as though he wasn’t there. This was probably because Pilot appeared to be focused intently on the etch-a-sketch that he was moving and shaking around, even though he was listening to every word of their conversation.

“Oh yes, he understands the food pyramid, he tells me when I’m not eating healthy! Last week, as his father was preparing his morning coffee, Pilot told him that he should use sugar sparingly. I just seems as if knowing and doing are two separate things.” Pilot’s mom said as she crossed her arms. She glanced over at Pilot, who, upon feeling her stare, began intently twisted the white knobs of the children’s toy, as though he were engineering important architectural plans.

“Let’s see...”, Dr. Todd slowly rubbed his chin with his long first finger, “have you tried insisting that he eat a vegetable before being excused from dinner?” Dr. Todd was trying to be helpful, but obviously he didn’t know Pilot very well.

Pilot’s mom began nodding her head before Dr. Todd finished his sentence. “Oh yes”, she quickly replied, “last summer he spent the night at the kitchen table. He woke up with summer squash stuck to his forehead, but it never did make it in his mouth”. It was true, Pilot could outlast any vegetable.

“How about forcing him to eat it, not physically, of course, but…hmmm…let’s say, not making it an option?” Dr. Todd slowly asked.

“Yup, gone that route too”, his mom explained, “I once told him to eat a piece a broccoli or else he’d be punished for the rest of his childhood, I gave him 30 seconds to put it in his mouth and swallow. He actually did better than that, he put it in his mouth, swallowed it and threw it back up along with the rest of his dinner within 30 seconds”.

6 comments:

MaineMomKC5 said...

Congrats! I have that book stuck in my head that if I could just hook a printer up to my brain, I'd be all set!!

So far, this sounds like a true story!!

MOM said...

It's been my dream for 25 years that you would write a book. The dream started when you won a 5th grade writers contest. I knew then that you were a writer. Of course, over the years I have been able to read so many of your stories and poems. Loved them all. Can't wait to read it!

P.S. I think it was the 5th grade?????????

Jermaine said...

Congratulations! I am so very proud of you. You've worked so hard in finishing your book. You are a gifted writer, and your dilligence in finishing your book has been inspiring. Using your God-given gift to bless your children is an awesome thing. Hopefully, this is the first of many.

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

i've always enjoyed reading your writing on the blog...it will be nice to have it on some pages! :-)
you've definitely got true life stories that are funny enough to be fiction! congratulations!

The Gawel's said...

When will we be able to buy it? You do have a true gift!

Kristy & John said...

Good for you!!! Are you going to try and get it published?