Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Not a true story, but will make my mom smile...

A man from Topeka, Kansas, decided to write an article about churches around the country. He started by flying to San Francisco and worked his way east from there.

Going to a very large church, he began taking photographs and making notes. He spotted a golden telephone on the vestibule wall and was intrigued by the sign on it, which read: "Calls: $10,000 a minute."
Seeking out the pastor, he asked about the phone and the sign. The pastor answered that the golden phone was, in fact, a direct line to heaven and that if he paid the price he could actually talk directly to God. The man thanked the pastor and continued on his way.

As he continued to visit churches in Seattle, Dallas, St. Louis, Chicago, Milwaukee, and around the United States, he found more phones, with the same sign, and on asking about them, he always received the same answer from each pastor.

Finally he arrived in Massachusetts. Upon entering a church in Boston, behold--he saw the usual golden telephone. But this time the sign read: "Calls: 35 cents."

Fascinated, he asked to talk to the pastor, "Reverend, I have been in cities all across the country, and in each church I have found this golden telephone and have been told it is a direct line to heaven on which I could talk to God. But in the other churches the cost was $10,000 a minute. Your sign indicates that it is only 35 cents a call. Why is that?" The pastor, smiling benignly, replied, "Son, you're in Boston, Massachusetts, now--home of the Boston Red Sox, the Patriots, and the Celtics. You're in God's Country. It's a local call."
Dirt forwarded this on to me today, I thought it was worth posting, mom - this blog is dedicated to you!

1 comment:

MOM said...

Yes, yes, yes! Thanks, Erin! I feel like I am in God's country. However, the FIRST reason is not for the Red Sox, Celtics or Patriots. The FIRST reason is because it is Christmas time and I finally can spent the holiday with my family after 12 long years. Despite flying into Boston on the worst snow storm of the season, I would do it again just to be here.

OK, the SECOND reason is because of the Red Sox, Patriots and Celtics! I am such a crazy sports fan!!!!!!!!!