Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Skin Color Does Matter...

This Christmas we got the kids the new video ipods - when they opened them there wasn't a lot of excitement (they had asked for Disney's Mix Match - which is essentially Disney's version of an MP3 player - which I refused to buy). Thus, the ipods sat on the floor, lost amidst what looked like a battlefield scattered with half-opened toys, bows, boxes, and shredded wrapping paper.
Mid-day I remembered that I had ordered skins for the ipods so that we could distinguish between the two. The cool thing about skins is that you can get them in whatever design you fancy. I ordered HS Musical for Amelle and Dolphins for Avery.
I was a little leary about plastering a $150 electronic device with a giant sticker, but then I talked myself into it by rationalizing that a lot of people must do it because the skin business was seemingly booming (according to my google search results). Anyway, about 3.2 seconds after I stuck the skins on them, the ipods became the greatest gift of all times. The kids stuck the earplugs in and I haven't heard from them since (mind you, Christmas was yesterday).
Lesson learned: creative packaging is everything.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Kristy & John said...

That's funny!! I got Aiden an MP3 player for Christmas, I was able to get a "red" one, his favorite color. He didn't seem too thrilled until his 13 year old cousin was comparing Aiden's to his. Then it was cool...
Oh, and we got Riley an interactive ATM machine savings bank (the good one from Hammacher Schlemmer, not the junky one from RiteAid), complete with cash and that was the only toy he wanted to play with! Of course all of his great Aunts and Uncles wanted to make deposits into the ATM!! He made out like a bandit!

Kristy & John said...

Hey there, call me!! I've been trying to get in touch with you!