Sunday, January 13, 2008

1st Day with New Camera!

Despite my repeated instruction for no anniversary gift this year, Jerms handed me a sweet new camera on Saturday (yes, he's two weeks early). He has never been a good listener in that regard.

On Saturday night I sat up in bed reading through the instruction manual until my eyeballs turned to stone. Then I took a couple pictures of the closest thing to me (the books on my nightstand, which was no fun because the room was pretty dark). Honestly, I couldn't wait to snap some pictures, and the sound of the camera clicking held me over until morning.


Amelle is always a willing subject. Of course it was Sunday morning and her hair was a mess, so I threw my hat and scarf on her and prodded her out onto the back porch. My goal was to take a picture with a blurry background. Yay me! I still have to figure out how to "use" natural lighting. Actually I still have to figure out a lot of things.



Avery is so goofy, he isn't as good of a "subject" as Amelle. He's always trying to make goofy faces, and even his "regular" faces look forced and unnatural.


Amaya is also tricky, if she's not making her "cheese face", she's moving at a speed faster than light, so she's tricky to catch. Here she is with her friend for the day, "Michael" (the dinosaur).


Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

MOM said...

All of the pics came out really extraordinary, especially the one of Avery! He is just soooo handsome in that picture and sooo grown-up.

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

what kind is it?
i took my manual out again after Christmas...i was getting frustrated with the unnatural lighting and the blurriness without the flash. one of these days i'll master it!

MOM said...

Hey Nancy, did you notice we posted at the same time. Great minds........

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

i was confused when i posted and it said 2 comments! :-D

T5M said...

Hey Nancy!

...Nikon something or other - what's yours?

When are you guys coming up again? We miss you!

Audra said...

Erin! Its a Nikon D40 - the best camera on the market for consumer level photographers - and I shoot Canon so it takes alot for me to say that!

You did an awesome job!

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

i don't have an SLR....after a ton of research seth went for the canon powershot sd950, it's a point-n-shoot. i'm trying to figure out the whole blurry background but focused image. i'm not sure if you can do that with a point and shoot. it's a heck of a lot faster than my old camera and has some neat features.
seth and i were talking the other day about coming up...i think we're gonna hold off until you guys thaw out...that's around july, right? plus....i think it's your turn to visit here! (we missed you on new year's!)

T5M said...

I also have the Canon powershot SD750 - but I have never loved it - I think 85% of my pictures are blurry. However, my disclaimer is that I never read the manual and I'm probably doing something wrong. I actually liked my old Canon Powershot A85 - it's a little bulky, but I always had decent luck with my pictures. In the 2 days I've had this one, I've been impressed with the vibrancy of the COLOR when using the Nikon...I have to admit to being leary about the Nikon because I have always owned Canons - but so far so good...

Yeah, it's definitely snowy up here! Holy cow! We miss you guys though...maybe we can meet someplace warm for a long weekend...I bet the outerbanks are nice in the spring! Dirt is itching to fish - I can convince him to go anywhere that he can fish.

T5M said...

Audra - I followed your instruction to the letter:

1. Take Amelle outside
2. Set your F setting as low as it can go
3. Take a picture with Amelle with a tree in the distance behind her.

...and well-ah!