Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Found: Me

I have a confession. Writing my book has had a profound impact on my life. I don’t think it was actually the process of writing it as much as it was the completing of it. I say this because “the change” didn’t take root until I licked the envelope and sailed it off to a small Maine publishing company (this symbolized completion for me, though there is still much work to be done).

Anyway, back to me. It’s like a part of my soul has been revived or a part of my very being has been rediscovered. I feel like I’ve brushed off “what I’ve become” and am now sorting through “who I am”.

Don’t get all excited, you probably won’t notice the change. Most of what is going on is happening on the inside, though I am thinking of shaving my head. Just kidding.

I don’t know how else to describe it, but there is a ten-year old little girl who lives inside of me who has a perspective to give (yes, apparently she’s opinionated just like I am). When I was in the 6th grade I had an internal voice that narrated my life as though I was telling a story. I vividly remember walking home from school one day and hearing that little voice in my head say, “as she walked through the woods…” – and it would literally go on and on describing my every move. When my moves were lame, that voice would add in some adventure. Sometimes that voice would move me to a quiet place to write a poem. Until recently, I thought this was normal.

Anyway, I have been so utterly preoccupied with the notion that I actually love to write. I think about it all the time, there are so many stories to be told, so many words to be put together! It’s titillating! (is that a dirty word? If so, I don’t mean it to be). I’m going to leave it there because if it’s dirty – it’s going to give someone a laugh that I used it). I actually just laughed, which has made this whole thing worth it.

Sidetracked again. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know what was going on in my world. I have been reading through some of my childhood favorites and am about to read some new children’s literature. It’s kind of funny to be amongst adults and admit that you’re reading “Blubber”, by Judy Blume. ….Not that impressive amongst the intellectual types – but WHO CARES!

I just read “Mandy” by Julia Andrews Edwards and it was so wonderful! I remember carrying that book around like it was my lifesource when I was a kid…and it was probably more enjoyable this time around! (as a side note, I have noticed that children’s literature can contain naughty words: “Damnit” was found in “Mandy”, and so far in “Blubber”, I have run across “Damn” and “Bitch” – yeah – can you believe it – and she wasn’t talking about a female dog!) As a side, side-note, I got Blubber off of the shelf designated for 7-12 year olds at Barnes & Noble.

5 comments:

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

have you seen stranger than fiction with will farrell? your life narration reminded me of that movie...:-)

T5M said...

No - but I'll have to check it out - maybe I am normal afterall! :-) ...wait....Will Farrell...probably not.

Denise said...

I thought of the same movie that Nancy mentioned "Stranger than Fiction" :)

I liked Judy Blume's Fudge and Super Fudge when I was younger. I also liked the Beverly Cleary books a lot.

I think you're a great writer, I always like reading your blog. :)

MOM said...

It's great that you have realized your potential in writing. However, don't "pooh hoo" what you have accomplished and what you have become. Your a multi-faceted person with a quick mind, strong will and warm heart.

By the way, I spoke with Victoria yesterday and she spoke with that writer from York. She said she would be glad to speak with you. Victoria will call you with her number. Also, there is a writer's group (some published--some not) that meet at the library. Maybe you would like to get involved.

Audra said...

Erin!
I can't believe Mandy was one of your favorite books! It was mine as well! I always thought it was so obscure and not by one of the big authors that no one else would know it.
I love you for me!