Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Open House: House of Bethesda

Last week, you may have noticed these flyers posted and then taken down, then posted again, then taken down again. I was trying to show them to April, and this was the easiest way.


A few Fridays ago, I received a somewhat frantic call from Jerm's Auntie April saying that they needed "someone creative" to help them with a flyer for their open house. They said that they had tried to make one, but it was "beyond horrific". I asked her to send me the horrific one and I would try to make something for them.


When I opened the horrific flyer, I realized that it was basically a white peice of paper with the information typed in 20pt ariel font, dramatically (sarcastic) centered on the page. It wasn't even worthy of the title "horrific", because being horrific implies that someone tried to be creative, but wound up with a disasterous mess. It was clear that no one tried anything creative on the horrific flyer, unless you consider centered text creative, which I'm sure you don't.


Anyway, here are the two that I came up with using Word. I like the top one better, but I think April liked the bottom one better (she dug the watermark of the house). I'm not sure which one they ended up going with - but if you're in the Philadelphia area on Sunday, feel free to stop by! All are welcome!


Which one do you like better?

9 comments:

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

so...when are you gonna start your graphic design business?! ;-)
i like them both...i'd probably learn toward the first one, but i can see why april would like the one with the house...gives people more of an idea what to look for.
nice job!!

TheKeyRing said...

I like the first one. Great job with the flyers and KUDOS to April for the project.

MOM said...

I'm leaning towards the first one. It would catch your eye better than the second one. However, they are both good.

Congrats to April on taking on a gigantic project of this nature.

MaineMomKC5 said...

I like the third one the best - it really showcases your "assets."

Ha ha....No, I lean towards the first one. Great job! Now, what is it you can't do? Oh yeah, lick your elbow. But no one can do that.

(did anyone just try??)

KC5 said...

2

Kristy & John said...

I like the first one

How on earth did you do that in just Word?? That's crazy!!

I am impressed for how quick she flipped that house, very exciting!

Denise said...

I like the first one better...what you could do to merge the two, instead of the map on the bottom right of the 1st one you could do the picture of the house...just a suggestion

T5M said...

...she didn't flip the house, she owns it and will be filling it with women in transition - the purpose of the Open House is to raise support and awareness...

Definitely an inspiration!

T5M said...

...Oh, and Wendy, I didn't understand you comment at all, AND I did try to lick my elbow, just to prove that I could do absolutely everything, but alas, I was defeated by the design of our Creator!

Actually the list of all the things I can't do is far to great for this blog...