Wednesday, March 12, 2008

*PING*

Has anyone else noticed the "Ping phenomenon" that is going on? When did "PING" become one of the most commonly used words in the workplace? In terms of usage, it's right up there with "fax" and "file".

Has anyone else (aside from Jerms and I) noticed the use (and sometimes overuse) of this new fancy word?

Addendum: I can see by the comments that further clarification is needed. "Ping" is now used kind of like "remind". It's almost like a friendly flick on the arm when you fall asleep in class. For example, if my team in on a conference call and one person is missing, someone will say, "I'll ping her" (about the missing person). This means that that person will send the missing person an IM (instant message), saying, "are you joining the call", or something to remind them that we're all on the call.

Jermaine recently received an e-mail, the subject line was "Ping" and the e-mail was a reminder for him to do something.

10 comments:

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

huh?

Kristy & John said...

what?

TheKeyRing said...

clearly it is not as common as you think.

K-Sea said...

Erin, Ping me when you get a minute.

Audra said...

Erin, I will ping you tomorrow when I get to work and we can talk about this!

Seems you have a few more ludites in your readership than I thought!

Kristy & John said...

That just reminded me of words we used to start making up and using in high school...weird. Isn't it funny how sometimes the workplace is almost just like high school except you get paid to show up?

T5M said...

What'a a "Ludite"? Is that another new fancy workplace word that I'm not hip to yet?

I tried to look it up, but no luck there.

The workplace can be just like High School, only better!

My mom used to tell me that High School would be the best years of my life. Oiy! Fortunately I didn't believe her, otherwise I would of slit my wrists after graduation.

T5M said...

Hey, that reminds me...where is the ol' gal? Haven't seen her on the blog circuit lately.

MOM said...

"ol'gal"! Yah! That got my attention!

T5M said...

Mom, that's precisely what a "PING" is!

I pinged you!