Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Mad Scanner

It's no secret that I tend to take a lot of pictures; Dirt quotes the number of images on our hard drive to be about 12,000, but really, who's counting? The problem is that this figure only represents photos taken since the digital photography age....which for me has been on again off again depending on the status of my many digital cameras throughout the years. So in addition to the 12,000 images we have on our computer, we also possess boxes and bags and albums which contain another thousand or so photographs (as in, "hard copy", imagine that?!). These are the good ones, cause they're vintage. Old school baby!

I've had it in my mind for a while that these old school images need to join my new school images, but alas, the tedious work of scanning them has deterred me for so long.

...So tonight I took one brave step forward, and here are the results:

Dirt before he was Dirty. Hampton Beach, NH. Circa July 1997.

One of my favorite pics, and not just because we were thin. It's because Dirt had the audacity to rest his hand on my booty while we were standing next to my dad! The soft yellow lighting makes us look so innocent. I was holding my hands up like that to cover a stain on my shirt (don't tell anyone)

Does it get any cuter than this? I know I'm probably not suppose to publicly oogle over my kids, but really, weren't they just the cutest things ever? Now I remember why we had another one! Unfortunately they aren't this cute any more; now they're regular kids who fight with each other every waking moment.
I'm sure there will be many more scanned images, and for that, I apologize in advance.

7 comments:

K-Sea said...

classic stuff-I may have to go through my greatest hits as well...stay tuned.

mainelife said...

there are a couple of online services that will do this for you for a really reasonable price. My friend loves ScanCafe, and I've used scanmyphotos with good results. :)
Oh and nice photos....love Dirt before he was dirty.

MOM said...

You have Dad's genes as far as photography. I haven't owned a camera since I was 15. That was about 20 years ago!

Dan said...

those are great!! i'm looking forward to seeing more of the classics.

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

hey erin, in case you're wondering..."dan" is my alter-ego :-) apparently my co-worker was signed into gmail and i didn't realize it!

T5M said...

Mom, sorry to burst your bubble, but I was 15 20 years ago.

Thanks for the scanning tips, Dirt bought me a new scanner, which I'm still loving, once I start hating it (probably sometime after the 200th photo, I may look up a service to do this for me, either that or I'll get a trained monkey).

In case any of you were scared by the picture of my children, rest assured that you are not alone. Apparently their aunt & uncle also found this image disturbing (though they were too kind to divulge this fact publically, it came out on an early AM phone call this morning). They found this image to be spooky. Now that I look at it again, they may have a point.

Wendy said...

Their Uncle found it scary - he said it reminded him a this picture hanging up in my parent's timeshare in Newport. I don't think they look scary...Amelle looks a little scared, however.

But I love the faux background. Where is the fake library background with you? Do you have any halo shots of yourself with your arms crossed? LOVE those.