Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A New Perspective

Today is Avery's first day with contact lenses. It's also his last day with "long hair". My MIL is coming to town tonight. She thinks that if I would let Avery's hair grow out, he'd have a beautiful little soft curl afro. He won't. He will have thick crazy wavey hair, and thus I have reached my hair growth threshold for him. I've purposely held out on cutting it so that she can see it first hand, in all of it's 2 inches of glory. I would like to get it cut tomorrow, if I can pry him out of my MIL's arms (we already know that she has an affinity for long hair, apparently gender is not a factor).
The real trick is going to be dissuading him from getting his favorite summer haircut (a mohawk). I'm not against the mohawk (in fact, I kinda like it - easier to check for ticks). However, Audra and I have been conspiring on a photo session for the kids and a mohawk might not work for that. I'm fine with the mohawk after the photo session; I figure that its the one time of year that he can be free. Attending a relatively conservative private school means: no fake tattoos, no gelled or spiked hair, and no 'non-traditional' hair stylings throughout the school year. Therefore, it's a free for all during the summer. Amelle usually rebels by wearing temporary tattoos all over and Avery rebels with his mohawk. It's all good. ...Except when Audra is willing to take their pictures, in which case I want them to look fresh, clean, and innocent (in other words, nothing like who they really are). It's a mother thing - you don't' want to remember your kids how they really were, you want to remember them as perfect little reflections of you and your husband; expressions of your undying love.
I'm kidding, relax.
Well, sort of.
Oh, and the contact lenses.... that was a 9th birthday thing. We promised that if Avery was exhibiting signs of personal hygiene and "responsibility", that we could talk about getting contacts when he turned nine. He has, so we did (his birthday is this weekend).

8 comments:

Audra said...

Actually - I wouldn't mind the mohawk if we could dress all your kids up punk...

actually I change my mind! No mohawk until we are done!

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

hard to believe he's going to be 9! feels like yesterday you were still trying to potty train him!
have you been messing with photoshop? i like the way the pictures came out.
maybe audra can do another session after the mohawk :-)

T5M said...

As suspected, my MIL doesn't want me to cut his hair! ..."he just needs a shape up...awwww..come on...let it grow"

..the worst part is now she has him wanting a fro! It's like setting him up for failure... he doesn't have fro hair!

Plus...that won't work for my audra pics either!

MaineMomKC5 said...

I actually like his hair long! Maybe b/c it's different, but I think it looks cute. Man, he's getting handsome.

T5M said...

Back off cougar!

MaineMomKC5 said...

Oh, so I'm a cougar, eh? I was hoping I was still "MILF" status. Cougars are like 50!!

MOM said...

I have to agree with all concerned. I do love his hair at the current lenght. He sports his new look very well. No glasses and the hair at 2 inches. I'm for just the trim!

MOM said...

I have to agree with all concerned. I do love his hair at the current lenght. He sports his new look very well. No glasses and the hair at 2 inches. I'm for just the trim!