Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Cuteness vs Correctness

This evening I was driving the girls home from the ball field and Amelle was belting out a song with all the passion and fervor her little 7 year old voice could muster up. She was in her own world (apparently one where she can carry a tune). I didn’t dare look back at her through the rear view mirror in fear that she would catch me smiling at her soulful rendition of “Strong Tower”.

“The name of the Looooorrrrdd, is a strong toooowwweeerr, the Russians run in to it, and they are saved..”

There were two minor problems with this rendition. First, this line was the only one she knew, so she sang it over and over again. Probably close to 20 times (each time with emphasis on different words and building in intensity and passion). The second minor problem was that the lyrics were slightly off. According to the original version of the song (which is based on Proverbs 18:12), it’s not actually the “Russians” who are saved, it’s the “Righteous” (though I suppose they could be Russians, because God doesn’t really discriminate based on national origin).

Just to put this in pop-culture terms, Simon Cowell probably would've said something like, "That was absolutely the worst singing I have ever heard in my life. I am now officially tone deaf."

However, since I am the mother, I smiled to myself. I made a conscious decision not to correct her because I found this minor faux pas to be cute. Then I began thinking about other instances of non-correction for the sake of cuteness and I assessed that I am more about cute than I am about “correct”. Then I felt semi-proud of myself for this since I generally find myself on the perfectionist side of things.

Case in point: I let Amelle call bathingsuits “apple suits” (without correcting her) until she outgrew the habit (last year). This year I actually bought her a bathingsuit with apples on it in hopes that she would relapse.

This isn’t to say that I let other grammatical errors slide, I don’t, I just let her keep the cute ones. “Aint”, incorrect tenses, overuse of “um”, loud speaking…they all get nipped because they’re not cute. Not cute at all.

11 comments:

The Gawel's said...

ah--I remember the apple suit! How cute!

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

the russians! i laughed out loud! that's the best!

Audra said...

My niece Hailey used to say Strawbabies and Bluebabies for strawberries and blueberries - she outgrew that and I was said.
She also used to say FireF*&K for firetruck and honestly that made me laugh though very inappropriate.

T5M said...

I love kidisms! If anyone has more of them to share, let 'em fly!

The Gawel's said...

Ashlyn would say poop for soup!

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

my grandmother used the term "BM" for #2. denise and i grew up thinking it was "bow moment" :-)

MOM said...

Shaun used to say "Pee Pee Chips" instead of "potato chips". You never had any "kidisms"

T5M said...

I fear that Amaya won't have any kidisms, she's a freakin' rocket scientist - she corrects my English. It's sad. ....I have nothing to look forward to in her third year (aside from no diapers).

mainelife said...

The Russians.....hysterical. I love kidisms, too. My niece always used to say "MY Know" instead of "I know". She's outgrown it but the adults haven't.

K-Sea said...

Hmmmm I thought it was Russians too

T5M said...

Wendy shared a Will Kidism today that is a blog on it's own.

Wen - I implore you...please write it up!

...had me in tears on the way home from work today.