Saturday, June 07, 2008

Sheer Terror

It's not often that raw human emotion gets caught on film, particularly when that emotion is pure, unadulterated terror. When it does, you have no choice but to plunk down $20 for the photograph and then deal with your feelings of being a swindled tourist.

A few months ago we were at the Universal theme park in Orlando. Avery, Amelle and Dirt ventured onto the Jurassic Park ride. Knowing that Amelle is not much of a thrill-seeker, I prepped her by saying that the ride would be "a little bit scary". I told her that the dinosaurs were not real as she confidently hopped onto the ride with a smile on her face.

For those who haven't been on this ride, I'll fill you in a bit. This ride starts out innocently enough, you're on a "tour boat" going carelessly through lovely Jurassic Park. The majestic Jurassic Park theme music plays as you marvel at all the herbivores. Then something goes terribly wrong: the Raptors have escaped! Of course, we all know that Raptors are carnivores. Our tour guide panics and we wind up off course. Then we spot a huge T-Rex, which our little boat is headed straight towards! The T-Rex bends his head to eat us and before you can say "this really is all make-pretend", you make an unexpected decent (roller-coaster style) and are free, free, free at last! The ride down is a exhilarating and you immediately want to go on again.

Somewhere between the T-Rex bowing his head to eat you and your surprise decent into freedom, apparently a camera snaps. You don't realize this until you walk through the gift shop on the way out and see your photograph on a TV monitor. It looks something like this:
And here's our little princess - completely terrified. She hasn't processed that she's free yet, in fact, I think she might actually think she's heading down an esophagus into the belly of the T-Rex.

I do have to say that there is no shame in this type of terror, I mean, she's 7 ...and 7-year olds can be afraid of getting eaten by large carnivorous dinosaurs, particularly ones that the fine folks at Universal have made to look convincingly real.

However, that being said, what's this guy's excuse?

8 comments:

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

TOTALLY worth the $20!!! i'm cracking up! the look on her face is priceless!

K-Sea said...

That guy may be crying!

T5M said...

..I thought he might've been praying? .."Dear Heavenly Father, I now commit my soul to thee"...

MOM said...

What we put our kids through! We want them to have fun but sometimes it backfires. That is a keeper!

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

my mom had the same face when we convinced her to go on a tame roller coaster at great adventure! we turned around at the end of the ride, all excited to see if she liked it...she was slouched down in her seat, white knuckles wrapped around the front bar and her face had that same look of "sheer terror"! let's just say she wasn't too happy with us that day!

MaineMomKC5 said...

That look on her face is precious! It's crazy b/c Amelle doesn't usually express a lot of emotion, so to see that look is priceless.

And the man (wait, you can't call him that) behind her is classic!! I love how he's holding on for dear life!

Jermaine's face is pretty good as well!

Alison said...

That is def. a picture for the scrapbook! :)

Denise said...

that's hilarious!
regarding Nancy's comment, I think I was sitting next to my mom on that rollercoaster and when the ride was over she said "don't you EVER do that to me again!"
I have to admit that they had to shut down the space ship ride at Dutch Wonderland for me when I was 5 years old b/c I was freaking out, I thought we were really going into space! I give Amelle a lot of credit, I wouldn't set foot onto a roller coaster until I was 13!