Sunday, June 01, 2008

Suuurrprise!!!

After months of covert planning, last night we finally managed to pull off a surprise birthday party for my mom. She had NO IDEA, so it was really cool to see her reaction as she walked into a room of 30 people, some who she hadn't seen in over 5 years.


Then there was the second part of the surprise: Gordo. He was suppose to be coming up in mid-June, once he finished a project he was working on in Florida. They hadn't seen each other in a month, and I think mom was a little bit bummed to be spending her 60th birthday without him. He secretly flew in yesterday for the party.


No surprise party would be complete without total embarrassment and humiliation to the guest of honor. We thought it would be funny for everyone to be holding up these faces of her circa 1991 when she walked in. (They also made nice fans) At one point I overheard her trying to rationalize the big hair by saying that it had been "windy" the day the photograph was taken. Let's face it, it was early nineties and big hair ruled.


Here is my mom and her BFF Linda. They go way back. I didn't take this picture so I'm not 100% sure what they were doing, but it I had to guess, they were giving themselves "face lifts" by pulling their skin back on their faces. Either that, or they were checking their pulses to ensure that they were still alive. I can't be sure.

4 comments:

K-Sea said...

I still can't believe we pulled it off! I am posting the video on our blog. You and Wendy did a great job organizing the event.

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

that's awesome! it's so nice when all the planning comes together and the person is genuinely surprised!

MaineMomKC5 said...

What a fun night! I'm glad it's over in a way - the stress of the "secret" was killing me!!

Is it cake time? I think that's a blog in and of itself.

MOM said...

I am still in shock! Apparently, now that my kids can outsmart me, (which wasn't always the case) they can have their way with me. Oh gosh! I'm afraid for the next twenty years!

Seriously, I have never felt more honored! I have never really been surprised in my life! I have never had a surprise party (except for my bridle shower but I knew that was coming). My friends gave me a surprise birthday party, but I had figured it out that day. However, last night, I truly did not know until I walked in the door.

Yes, you guys really pulled it off and I thank you, thank you, thank you!