Sunday, July 06, 2008

Sailing

After church this morning Avery and I joined Papa Gordo and mom for a different kind of Sunday morning cross: Our plans for a beautiful Sunday sail were a bit foiled by the rolling fog, which we learned was called pea soup...fancy sailing terminology. From York Harbor:

The fog thwarted my plans for Avery to fall instantly in love with sailing and be the captain of our family yacht (34 footer, would probably do it). I love sailing, but just the riding part, not the pulling ropes and understanding the wind part. Therefore, my hope and prayer is that one of my offspring will get the sailing bug and be my lifelong captain. If I can't have that, then I'll take winning the lottery so that I can buy a yacht and staff it with a crew. Did I learn anything at church this morning?

The ropes (oh, yeah...fancy sailing term: lines). One of the things I love about sailing is that it's complexity meets simplicity. Plus it's ancient, it's natural, it's serene. I love it.




3 comments:

~Seth & Nancy~ said...

looks like fun! love the new header by the way :-)

T5M said...

Thanks! The header: ...one of the reasons Dirt loves fishing.... it's awesome out there by the ocean at odd hours.

MOM said...

You have to learn to speak a whole new language when you step foot on a boat. For instance, the left side of the boat is called the "port". A rope is a sheet, etc, etc, etc. Get the language down,then you can at least understand what they are saying. It's just like walking in a foreign country.