Friday, August 15, 2008

I Hate PT Cruisers

There, I said it.

I think they're the fugliest, clunkiest, most ridiculous vehicle ever made. A car rental establishment once tried to force me to drive one (passing it off as a "mid-size" car) and I laughed in the face of car rental worker and demanded a free upgrade for their insinuation that I would ever be caught behind the wheel of one of these hideous cars. Um, Do I look like a clown? No? Then why would I be driving in a circus vehicle?

I know it's not "Christian" to hate (and believe me, I have friends that like to remind me when I'm not "being Christian"). But even God hates something (sin). He loves sinners (fortunately for me), but He does hate sin.

I really try not to hate anything. It's a word that has basically been stripped from my vocabulary since I had child #1. Because my kids aren't allowed to say it, I'm not really allowed to say it. Plus my philosophy on hating something is that it actually takes effort to hate, it's far better to simply ignore things that are bothersome. However, this morning I saw a purple PT Cruiser on the highway and I got this feeling inside that I can only describe as utter contempt, and I thought to myself, "I hate PT Cruisers and I'm going to proclaim it to the world!"

So in my research to see if I could publicly proclaim my hatred toward, I stumbled upon this passage:

Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Romans 12:9-10

Isn't that nice? Especially the part about honoring one another above yourselves. That's such a great reminder. I'm going to try to be a nicer person today.

But anyway, back to the part about hating. I think we (Christians) might be able to hate things, we just can't hate other people, right? And we can definitely hate "what is evil" (PT Cruisers). So, unless anyone is opposed to my hating PT Cruisers, I'm just going to go with it.

Thank you and have a nice day!

4 comments:

Grandma said...

I feel exactly the same way about a PT Cruiser. I was unlucky enough to get that ugly car as a rental once. However, I grinned and bared it because I'm a nice person who doesn't like to make waves!

BostonWriter said...

I feel the same way about PTs - especially after renting one. I had the thing floored and children on tricycles were passing me. I also appreciate the passage. Now if I could only find a Biblical loophole that would justify my hatre... I mean 'strong dislike' of A-Rod. ;) Have a great weekend.

~Seth and Nancy~ said...

i'm right with you! seth and i got one of those once when we were down in NC. the windshield slanted so much he couldn't sit up straight and look out!

K-Sea said...

I think they are pretty HIP...